Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Question - German submarine populsion in WWII
Posted by: kurt ()
Date: July 14, 2004 06:51PM

I couldn't resist adding my two cents.

'normal' sent my antennae up a bit.

Indirect drive was the standard form of propulsion for US boats in WWII, though the older, pre-fleet boats used direct, mechanical drive (the S-boats, for example). I believe that the US was unique in this regard. German U-boats generally used direct, mechanical drive systems: I believe that the other major navies (Italian, British, Japanese, etc) did as well, though I'd love to hear from anyone with specific info.

The US adopted indirect drive after attempts to make direct drive work fell victim to continuing mechanical vibration issues when the larger, fleet boat designs of the US Navy necessitated four instead of two engines. hooking two engines up to one screw with clutches etc just never seemed to work. Indirect drive also allowed greater packaging flexibility and better fuel economy (the driving engine could run at optimum fuel economy speed more often - the same reason that hybrid cars get better mileage). during the war it turned out to be much more damage resistant and tolerant.

direct drive was preferred in the two engine German boats, partially out of simplicity, but also because the indirect system required more weight and, especially, copper - which the US had in great supply but was critically short in Germany.

Which was normal is a matter of perspective.

Regards,

Kurt

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Question - German submarine populsion in WWII Johan L 07/10/2004 10:34AM
Re: Question - German submarine populsion in WWII Sniper 07/14/2004 04:49PM
Re: Question - German submarine populsion in WWII Johan L 07/14/2004 05:56PM
Re: Question - German submarine populsion in WWII kurt 07/14/2004 06:51PM
Re: Copper Rodney Martin 07/15/2004 04:48PM
Re: Question - German submarine populsion in WWII Johan L 07/16/2004 06:22PM
Re: Question - German submarine populsion in WWII Scott 07/15/2004 06:02PM
Re: Question - German submarine populsion in WWII Johan L 07/16/2004 06:22PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.