Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Lantern colours?
Posted by: Vidart ()
Date: November 30, 2008 01:07PM

Hello
I suppose the rules that apply today aren't too much changed from the time of the VIIC's:

A top lantern should give white non-blinking light and should be visible 112.5 degrees to each side from straigt forward to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam.

A stern lantern should give white non-blinking light and should be visible 67.5 degres to each side from straight astern.

The port lantern should give red non-blinking light and should be visible 112.5 degrees from straigt forward to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam. From straight forward also between 1 and 3 degrees with decreasing intensity.

The starboard lantern should give green non-blinking light and should be visible 112.5 degrees from straigt forward to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam. From straight forward also between 1 and 3 degrees with decreasing intensity.

A vessel loger than 50 m should have 2 top lanterns, 1 stern lantern and side lanterns. A vessel shorter than 50 m does not have to use the stern top lantern.

There is a lot of other rules as well, but less important here I believe. When I served on a Kobben Class (length less than 50 m) in 1980, we used a white stern lantern. We mounted a top lantern on the periscope when surfaced during the night, and we had the usual side lanterns.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Vidar

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Lantern colours? Cheradenine 11/29/2008 11:28PM
Re: Lantern colours? Vidart 11/30/2008 01:07PM
Re: Lantern colours? Cheradenine 11/30/2008 09:10PM
Re: Lantern colours? dick 12/17/2008 07:22PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.