General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Sad News – Horst Bredow has passed away
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: February 23, 2015 02:22PM

Horst Bredow a former U-boat officer and the founder of the U-bot Archiv in Altenbruch passed away peacefully yesterday afternoon, Sunday, the 22nd of February 2015, in his house at Altenbruch.

Horst was a friend to all of us in the U-boat community. He worked tirelessly most of his life to help let the world know the truth about the way the U-boat War was conducted and the bravery and honor of the U-boat men that fought it. He helped many people including historians, writers, former U-boat men, former Allied adversaries, and the families of the men that fought that war on all sides. He was always ready to help everybody and his vast knowledge of the details of all facets of that war simply cannot be replaced.

He started the Archiv from his home and he and his wife Annemarie paid for everything out of their own pockets for most of the Archiv’s existence. It was Horst that provided the names and information for the WWII Moltenort U-Boat Memorial but that was only one of the things he did for the U-boat community. There were many more. The Archiv itself is a treasure and thousands have been helped by it. I will never forget the kindness he and Annemarie showed me during my stays at the Archiv and I know they did the same for many, many people over the years.

It is too bad that Germany doesn’t have the tradition of declaring men like Horst as “National Treasures” as Japan does because he certainly qualified. He was a giant in his field and he did more than anyone on the planet that I know about to help the U-boat community. He gave everything including his health to help all of us. He will be missed.

See: [www.u-boot-archiv-cuxhaven.de] for more information on his life and the history of the Archiv.

There will be no funeral service or other forms of gathering, since Horst declared in his last will that his ashes are to be given to the sea quietly.

Annemarie will continue leading the "Foundation German U-Boat Museum" as chairman as disposed by Horst Bredow building on the support of the friends of the Museum and Archive. Therefore, there is a firm intent to carry on with the work of the Museum and Archive.

For your condolences:

German UBoat Museum Foundation
Lange Strasse 1
27478 Cuxhaven-Altenbruch - Germany
E-Mail: uboot-archiv-altenbruch@web.de

I will be sending a donation to the Archiv as well. Horst and Annemarie’s life’s work must continue.

Regards,

Ken Dunn

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Sad News – Horst Bredow has passed away Ken Dunn 02/23/2015 02:22PM
Re: Sad News – Horst Bredow has passed away Denis Martin FTU 02/23/2015 06:32PM
Re: Sad News – Horst Bredow has passed away Paul Schirley 03/06/2015 09:57AM
Re: Sad News – Horst Bredow has passed away ibrahim ahmad 02/24/2015 06:32AM
Re: Sad News – Horst Bredow has passed away paul tjader 02/24/2015 12:08PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.