Finnish Sailing ship
|Completed||1905 - Rickmers Reismühlen Rhederi & Schiffsbau AG, Bremerhaven|
|Owner||Gustaf Erikson, Mariehamn|
|Date of attack||8 Dec 1940||Nationality: Finnish|
|Fate||Sunk by U-140 (Hans-Peter Hinsch)|
|Position||55.25N, 10.15W - Grid AM 5511|
|Complement||18 (18 dead - no survivors)|
|Route||Port Victoria, South Australia (27 Jun) - Stenhouse Bay (2 Jul) - Queenstown, Ireland|
|Cargo||3250 tons of grain|
Built as German three-masted steel barque Albert Rickmers for Rickmers Reismühlen Rhederi & Schiffsbau AG, Bremerhaven. 1910 sold to Reederei F. Laeisz, Hamburg, renamed Penang and used in the South American nitrate trade. 1920 sold to Finland, bought by John Nurminen, Raumo. In October 1923 sold to Gustaf Erikson, Mariehamn and used in the Australian wheat trade.
|Notes on event|
At 12.26 hours on 8 Dec, 1940, U-140 fired one torpedo at a sailing ship reported as the Finnish Lawhill and observed how the ship capsized after the hit and sank after 30 minutes northwest of Tory Island. However, the ship was in fact the Penang (Master Karl Viktor Karlsson), which was reported missing en route to Queenstown, Ireland.
If you can help us with any additional information on this vessel then please contact us.