General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information
Posted by: Greg Allyn ()
Date: January 15, 2007 07:09PM

My grand father was a Lead Engineer (LI) on U boats from about 1940 through 1945. He was captured by the British in 1945.

His name was Karlheinz Krohn. I am having a hard time finding any information about his military career. I have pictures of him in U-boats and there are several pictures of him in U-boat books that I've found entirely by accident.

What little of his career i do know is this.

He was aboard the DD Hans Ludemann (Z-18) during the battle of Narvik in 1940 and he wound up on U-boats latter that year. He was last in the training command on U boats in the Ost sea at the end of the war.

Just about everything in between is lost. I would really like to know what boats he served on.

I've got two of his medals one is the Narvik shield and the other I don't know what it is.

Any help or first hand information would be greatly appreciated. He is not on any of the current crew lists on any of the sights I've accessed.

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information Greg Allyn 01/15/2007 07:09PM
Re: My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information Ken Dunn 01/15/2007 07:26PM
Re: My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information Greg Allyn 01/16/2007 01:25AM
Re: My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information Webmaster@U-35.com 01/16/2007 10:22AM
Re: My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information Greg Allyn 01/16/2007 05:11PM
Re: My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information Rodney Martin 01/17/2007 04:02PM
Re: My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information Hubertus 01/16/2007 10:57AM
Re: My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information Greg Allyn 01/16/2007 05:25PM
Re: My grand father was an LI on U-boats looking for more information kpp 01/20/2007 06:09PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.