Frontflottille (Combat Flotilla)
|10.42 - 08.44||Bordeaux (France)|
|10.42 - 08.44||Fregkpt. Klaus Scholtz. (Oak Leaves)|
U-117, U-118, U-119, U-177, U-178, U-179, U-180
U-181, U-182, U-195, U-196, U-197, U-198, U-199
U-200, U-219, U-220, U-233, U-459, U-460, U-461
U-462, U-463, U-487, U-488, U-489, U-490, U-847
U-848, U-849, U-850, U-851, U-852, U-859, U-860
U-861, U-862, U-863, U-871, U-1059, U-1061, U-1062
46 U-boats assigned to this flotilla during its service.
The 12th Flotilla was founded on 15 Oct, 1942 under the command of Korvkpt. Klaus Scholz. The first German U-boat in Bordeaux was U-178 on 9 Jan, 1943. To the Flotilla were attached most of the long-range boats, which operated in the south Atlantic and the Indian Ocean. During August 1944 most of the boats left the base for Flensburg. The last two boats to leave Bordeaux were U-534 and U-857 on 25 August, 1944.
The flotilla's history ended in August 1944 by disbanding. The remaining men (some 220) under Fregkpt. Scholtz attempted to march on land back to Germany, but found themselves on 11 Sept, 1944 in US-captivity.