Chart of U-boat losses 1939-1945
|Total U-boats lost||765|
These figures count all U-boats "lost" to the Kriegsmarine. That includes air attacks in harbours, training accidents, accidents at sea and 2 boats interned in neutral countries. In short, any event which cost the German Navy a U-boat for good (i.e. the boat was not re-floated and re-commissioned to fight again).
Excluded are boats surrendered or scuttled in May 1945 and boats that had been paid off earlier in the war (decommissioned).
- U-31 was sunk twice in 1940, March 11 and November 2.
- May 1942. Including U-573 which was interned in Spain after air attack.
- Jul 1944. Including U-1164 and U-872 destroyed during air raids.
- Aug 1944. Including 7 boats scuttled at their bases after to prevent capture.
- Sep 1944. Including 3 boats scuttled in the Black Sea near Turkey.
- Oct 1944. Including 2 boats sunk in an air attack on Bergen, Norway.