HMS Evenlode (K 300)
Frigate of the River class
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Built by||Canadian Vickers (Montreal, Canada)|
|Ordered||6 Oct 1941|
|Laid down||28 May 1942|
|Launched||9 Nov 1942|
|Commissioned||4 Jun 1943|
Was to be built in Canada for the United States Navy but transferred to the Royal Navy under the lend-lease program.
Returned to the U.S.N. 5 March 1946.
|Former name||USS Danville (PG 105)|
Commands listed for HMS Evenlode (K 300)
Please note that we're still working on this section.
|1||T/A/Lt.Cdr. Alfred Laurence Turner, RNR||4 Jun 1943||7 Mar 1944|
|2||T/A/Lt.Cdr. George Bradford Medlycott, RNR||7 Mar 1944||1 Jul 1944|
|3||Cdr. Vivian Funge Smith, DSO, RD, RNR||1 Jul 1944||28 May 1945|
|4||T/A/Lt.Cdr. William Fleming McAusland, RNVR||28 May 1945||late 1945|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Evenlode include:
23 Aug 1943
On the 23th August 1943 the 40th Escort Group (Cdr. Dallison), consisting of the sloops HMS Landguard, HMS Bideford, HMS Hastings and the frigates HMS Exe, HMS Moyola and HMS Waveney were deployed on a U-boat hunt off Cape Ortegal. The whole operation was covered by the British light cruiser HMS Bermuda.
On the 25th August the Canadian 5th Support Group (Cdr. Tweed), consisting of the British frigates HMS Nene, HMS Tweed and the Canadian corvettes HMCS Calgary, HMCS Edmundston and HMCS Snowberry were deployed to relieve the 40th Escort Group. While this was in progress the ships were attacked at 1415 hrs by 14 Dornier Do-217's and 7 Ju-88's. with the new German weapon, the Henschel Glider Bombs, (the "Hs293 A-1"). Designed by the German Professor Herbert Wagner. HMS Landguard and HMS Bideford were the first of the Allied and R.N. ships to be attacked and damaged by them. This being the first time of their being brought into action against Allied ships. Several sailors were injured on HMS Bideford and one sailor was killed.
Another two days later on the 27th August 1943 the Canadian 5th Support group was relieved by the 1st Support group (Cdr. Brewer) consisting of the sloops HMS Pelican, HMS Egret and the frigates HMS Jed, HMS Rother, HMS Spey and HMS Evenlode. Also the covering cruiser HMS Bermuda was relieved by the Canadian destroyer HMCS Athabaskan and the British destroyer HMS Grenville. These ships were also attacked by the Germans. This time with 18 Dornier Do-217?s also carrying Henschel Glider Bombs. HMCS Athabaskan was heavily damaged and HMS Egret was sunk with the loss of 194 of her crew. After this loss the U-boat hunt was blown off.
11 Sep 1943
HMS H 33 (Lt. D.G. Kent, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Lough Foyle with HMS Spey (Lt.Cdr. B.A. Rogers, RD, RNR), HMS Escapade (Lt.Cdr. E.C. Peake, RN), ORP Garland (Lt.Cdr. S. Biskupski) and HMS Evenlode (T/A/Lt.Cdr. A.L. Turner, RNR). (1)
5 May 1944
HMS Una (Lt. C.A.J. Nicholl, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Tobermory with HMS Evenlode (T/A/Lt.Cdr. G.B. Medlycott, RNR), HMS Tintagel Castle (Lt. R. Atkinson, DSC and Bar, RNR), HMS Loch Fada (Lt.Cdr. B.A. Rogers, RD, RNR) and FFS Commandant d'Estienne d'Orves . (2)
16 May 1944
HMS Una (Lt. C.A.J. Nicholl, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Tobermory with HMS Evenlode (T/A/Lt.Cdr. G.B. Medlycott, RNR), HMS Loch Killin (Lt.Cdr. S. Darling, RANVR), HMS Capel (Lt. B.G. Heslop, DSC, RN) and HNoMS Tunsberg Castle. (2)
9 Feb 1945
HMS Unshaken (Lt. J.S. Pearce, RNR) conducted A/S exercises off Tobermory together with HMS Jewel (???), HMS Dart (Cdr. J.T. Jones, RD, RNR), HMS Evenlode (Cdr. V.F. Smith, DSO, RD, RNR) and HMCS Saskatchewan (A/Lt.Cdr. T.C. Pullen, RCN). (3)
10 Feb 1945
HMS Unshaken (Lt. J.S. Pearce, RNR) conducted A/S exercises off Tobermory together with HMS Evenlode (Cdr. V.F. Smith, DSO, RD, RNR), HMCS Saskatchewan (A/Lt.Cdr. T.C. Pullen, RCN), HMS Dart (Cdr. J.T. Jones, RD, RNR) and HMS Jewel (???). (3)
- ADM 173/17786
- ADM 173/19192
- ADM 173/20150
ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.