Allied Warships

Events on this day

19 July

Choose new date to check

This page is our compilation of data from several different databases. All data shown here is dynamic, but is accurate according to the information we have right now. Although content is still being added daily, more than 75% of the launched and commissioned data is already in place, so this section is almost complete.

Quick links: War losses - General events

The Shipyard Report

Laid down (31)

1939: Royal Navy MS Trawler Wistaria (T 113) - US Navy Submarine Tuna (203)

1940: Free French Navy Corvette Renoncule (K 117) - Royal Navy MS Trawler Canna (T 161) - Royal Navy Corvette Kingcup (K 33) - Royal Navy Corvette Pimpernel (K 71) - Royal Navy Corvette Ranonculus (K 117) - Royal Navy Submarine Umbra (P 35)

1941: Royal Indian Navy Minesweeper Bombay (J 249) - Royal Indian Navy MS Trawler Rampur (T 12) - US Navy Destroyer Baldwin (DD 624) - US Navy Minesweeper Swallow (AM 65)

1942: Royal Navy Tank landing ship LST 159 (LST 159) - US Navy Tank landing ship LST 159 (LST 159)

1943: Royal Canadian Navy Frigate Joliette (K 418) - Royal Navy Minesweeper Serene (J 354) - US Navy Seaplane tender Hamlin (AV 15) - US Navy Landing Craft Infantry LCI(L)-458 (LCI(L)-458)

1944: Royal Navy Minesweeper Myrmidon (J 454) - US Navy Landing Craft Infantry LCI(L)-798 (LCI(L)-798) - US Navy Landing craft support LCS(L)-54 (LCS(L)-54) - US Navy Landing craft tank LCT 1195 (LCT 1195) - US Navy Landing craft tank LCT 1196 (LCT 1196) - US Navy Landing craft tank LCT 1278 (LCT 1278) - US Navy Landing craft tank LCT 1326 (LCT 1326) - US Navy Medium landing ship LSM 273 (LSM 273) - US Navy Tank landing ship LST 649 (LST 649) - US Navy Tank landing ship LST 767 (LST 767) - US Navy Minesweeper Minivet (AM 371) - US Navy Motor torpedo boat PT 578

1945: Royal Navy Submarine Anchorite (P 422)

Launched (35)

1913: Royal Navy MS Trawler Scarron (FY 1913) - Royal Navy MS Trawler Unitia (FY 1852)

1924: French Navy Submarine Requin

1928: French Navy Submarine Pascal - Royal Navy Submarine Depot Ship Medway (F 25)

1932: Royal Navy Destroyer Duchess (H 64)

1933: Royal Navy Sloop Grimsby (L 16 / U 16)

1936: Italian Navy Submarine Turchese

1939: Royal Navy Light cruiser Mauritius (80)

1940: Royal Navy Submarine P 611 (P 611) - Royal Navy Corvette Picotee (K 63)

1941: Royal Navy Motor minesweeper MMS 61 (J 561) - US Navy Minesweeper Aggressor (AMc-64)

1942: Royal Navy Minesweeper BYMS 2046 (J 846) - US Navy Destroyer Saufley (DD 465)

1943: Royal Navy Minesweeper BYMS 2141 (J 941) - Royal Navy MS Trawler Gillstone (T 355) - Royal Navy Dock landing ship Highway (F 141) - Royal Navy Destroyer Undaunted (ii) (R 53) - Royal Navy Submarine Unswerving (P 63) - Royal Hellenic Navy Submarine Pipinos (P 71) - US Navy Net tender Chinaberry (AN 61) - US Navy Submarine chaser SC-1337 (SC-1337) - US Navy Submarine chaser SC-1369 (SC-1369) - US Navy Dock landing ship White Marsh (LSD 8) - US Navy Minesweeper YMS-141 (YMS-141)

1944: Royal Navy Minesweeper Mameluke (J 437) - Royal Navy Destroyer Saintes (R 84) - US Navy Landing Craft Infantry LCI(L)-655 (LCI(L)-655) - US Navy Landing craft tank LCT 1193 (LCT 1193) - US Navy Landing craft tank LCT 846 (LCT 846) - US Navy Landing craft tank LCT 891 (LCT 891) - US Navy Tank landing ship LST 587 (LST 587) - US Navy Tank landing ship LST 931 (LST 931) - US Navy Destroyer Zellars (DD 777)

Commissioned (30)

1917: Italian Navy Torpedo boat Francesco Stocco

1935: Soviet Navy Submarine ShCh-305

1937: Royal Dutch Navy Minesweeper Willem van Ewijck (i)

1940: Royal Navy Corvette Bluebell (K 80)

1941: Free French Navy Motor Launch St. Alain - Royal Navy MS Trawler Burra (T 158) - Royal Navy Motor Launch ML 281 (ML 281) - Royal Navy Motor minesweeper MMS 25 (J 525)

1943: Royal Canadian Navy Destroyer Huron (G 24) - Royal Navy Frigate Inver (K 302) - Royal Navy Landing Craft Tank LCT 670 (LCT 670) - Royal Navy Tank landing ship LST 239 (LST 239) - Royal Navy Tank landing ship LST 80 (LST 80) - Royal Navy Motor Launch ML 585 (ML 585) - US Navy Destroyer Escort Acree (DE 167) - US Navy Destroyer Escort Keith (DE 241) - US Navy Landing Craft Infantry LCI(L)-432 (LCI(L)-432) - US Navy Patrol craft PC-782 (PC-782) - US Navy Submarine chaser SC-1073 (SC-1073)

1944: US Navy Seaplane tender Bering Strait (AVP 34) - US Navy Destroyer Escort Kenneth M. Willett (DE 354) - US Navy Landing Craft Infantry LCI(L)-652 (LCI(L)-652) - US Navy Landing craft support LCS(L)-2 (LCS(L)-2) - US Navy Medium landing ship LSM 37 (LSM 37) - US Navy Tank landing ship LST 1030 (LST 1030) - US Navy Patrol craft PC-798 (PC-798) - US Navy Oiler Severn (AO 61)

1945: Royal Navy Tank landing ship LST 3033 (LST 3033) - US Navy Motor torpedo boat PT 610 - US Navy Motor torpedo boat PT 713


Laid down means that the ship's construction was officially started by laying down the keel (often just a single steel beam but could also mean the first of many pre-fabricated sections).

Launched means that the ship was launched from its shipyard, it then began its fitting out period (installation of smaller systems, weapons etc.) - in many yards the ships were launched very complete and needed little work afterwards.

Commissioned is when the navy takes the ship officially over and gives command of it to its new captain.

War Losses on 19 July (3)

1940: Royal Navy MS Trawler Crestflower (FY 367)

1941: Royal Navy Submarine Umpire (N 82) - Soviet Navy Destroyer Serdity

More information on Allied Warships losses.

General Events on 19 July


Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 15: HrMs O 15 (Lt. H.M.L.F.E. van Oostrom Soede, RNN) arrived at Hamilton, Bermuda. During passage engine defects developed. It was intended to tow O 15 to the U.K. for repairs. This however was rejected and it was decided to stick to the original plan and sent her to Halifax. At Halifax repairs would be made before onward passage to the U.K.

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 10: HrMs O 10 (Lt.Cdr. G. Quint, RNN(R)) was docked at Elderslie.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Ursula: HMS Ursula (Lt.Cdr. W.A.K.N. Cavaye, RN) departs Wallsend for Blyth where she arrived late the same day.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Oberon: HMS Oberon (Lt. C.B. Crouch, RN) conducted exercises for the C.O.Q.C. (Commanding Officers Qualifying Course) off Campbeltown with HMS Topaze (Lt.Cdr. J.N. Hambly, MBE, RN).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Thames: At 2000 hours, HMS Thames (Lt.Cdr. W.D. Dunkerley, RN), cast off from HMS Cyclops (A/Capt. R.L.M. Edwards, RN) and departed Rothesay for Dundee. She was escorted by HMS White Bear (Capt. R. Gill, RNR).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Triton: HMS Triton (Lt.Cdr. E.F. Pizey, DSC, RN) conducts exercises in the Firth of Forth with HMS Woolston (Lt.Cdr. W.J. Phipps, OBE, RN).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Talisman: HMS Talisman (Lt.Cdr. P.S. Francis, RN) shifted from Arrochar to Greenock.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 33: HMS H 33 (Lt. E.P. Tomkinson, RN) participated in / conducted exercises off Campbeltown.

Royal Navy Destroyer HMS Havock: Action of Cape Spada, 19 July 1940. Plan for operations against enemy submarines and shipping in the Aegean. On 18 July 1940, four destroyers departed Alexandria for an anti-submarine hunt towards the Kaso Strait and then along the north coast of Crete. These destroyers were; HMS Hyperion (Cdr. H.St.L. Nicolson, DSO, RN), HMS Hasty (Lt.Cdr. L.R.K. Tyrwhitt, RN), HMS Hero (Cdr. H.W. Biggs, DSO, RN) and HMS Ilex (Lt.Cdr. P.L. Saumarez, DSC, RN). The same day the Australian light cruiser HMAS Sydney (Capt. J.A. Collins, RAN) departed Alexandria with the destroyer HMS Havock (Cdr. R.E. Courage, DSO, DSC, RN) for an anti-shipping raid into the Gulf of Athens. Two more destroyers left Alexandria for Port Said, these were HMS Hereward and HMS Imperial. They were to escort a convoy towards the Aegean and then to bring back a convoy from the Aegean to Egypt. Proceeding of the sweeping forces up to the time of the sighting of two enemy cruisers, 18 – 19 July 1940. The destroyers which were to perform the A/S sweep sailed from Alexandria at 0015/18 carrying out an A/S sweep towards the Kaso Strait. After passing through the Strait at 2130 hours they kept well over towards the Cretan shore to avoid being sighted from Kaso Island. They then steered towards the westward at 18 knots between Ovo Island and the Cretan mainland. At 0600/19 course was altered to 240° to pass through the Anti-Kithera Channel. At 0722 hours two Italian cruisers were sighted ahead by HMS Hero. Meanwhile HMAS Sydney and HMS Havock had sailed from Alexandria at 0430/18. After passing through the Kaso Strait at 2345 hours they steered 295° at 18 knots. At 0733/19 they were in position 010°, Cape Spada, 40 nautical miles when HMAS Sydney received the enemy report from HMS Hyperion of two enemy cruisers steering 160°, bearing 255°, distant 10 nautical miles. HMS Hyperion gave her position as 340°, Agria Grabusa lighthouse, 3 nautical miles. Acting on this information, Captain Collins of HMAS Sydney altered course at 0736 hours to 240° to close the destroyers. When an amplifying report from HMS Hyperion gave her course as 060°, and the enemy course as 360°, HMAS Sydney altered course to 190° and commenced to work up to full speed. At 0800 hours another alteration of course was made to 150°. Shortly afterwards signals were received from the Commander-in-Chief directing the destroyers to join up with HMAS Sydney and the latter to support them. When Commander Nicolson continued from time to time to inform HMAS Sydney of his movements of his division and of the enemy, Captain Collins preserved W/T silence to avoid disclosing the presence of HMAS Sydney. In this he was entirely successful. Further alterations of course by HMAS Sydney were; at 0815 hours to 160°, at 0820 hours to 120°. At 0826 hours the enemy cruisers were sighted. They were steering 090°, bearing 188°, range 23000 yards. They were about 20° before the starboard beam. Until 0722 hours the destroyer division had been spread in line abreast 1.5 nautical miles apart, carrying out an A/S sweep at 18 knots. After sighting the enemy Commander Nicholson turned his division to starboard together to course 060°, and, in accordance with previous instructions, the destroyers concentrated in sub-divisions on the Hyperion. It was estimated that HMAS Sydney at 0900 hours would be in a position 010°, Cape Spada, 55 nautical miles, and while steering towards this position Commander Nicholson endeavoured to work round to the northward. At 0725 hours, when speed was increased to 25 knots, the enemy was seen to have altered course to 360°. Destroyer engagement with the enemy cruisers. At 0726/19 one of the enemy cruisers opened fire on HMS Hyperion and HMS Ilex an the latter returned fire. With their engines working up fast the speed of the destroyers was increased to 31 knots by 0735 hours. HMS Hyperion now opened fire with her after guns at maximum range, but ceased firing very soon as all her shots fell short. The enemy’s shooting was erratic, probably because he was firing against the sun. His salvoes fell short. Although the range was opening rapidly, the enemy instead of heading in chase of the destroyers held on their course due north. Possibly he was uncertain of the strength of the force opposing him, but whatever the reason his neglect to close lost him a favourable chance of utilising his superior gun power. At 0738 hours the enemy bore 270°, range was 11 nautical miles, and HMS Hyperion at 0740 hours, ordered her division to cease firing as the enemy was out of range. Five minutes later the enemy also ceased fire. At 0747 hours, the enemy, who bore 270°, range 14 nautical miles, was still steering north. With the object of gaining ground and of identifying the class of the enemy cruisers, the destroyer division altered course to 360°. At 0753 hours, when the enemy turned to close, course was altered back to 060°. The Commander-in-Chief’s signal to join HMAS Sydney was received by HMS Hyperion at 0800 hours, and four minutes later course was altered to 030°, with the enemy then bearing 265°, range 17 nautical miles. The enemy’s course at that moment was 090°. These positions were signaled to HMAS Sydney at 0805 hours, and course was altered to 060° one minute later. At about this time a Greek steamer was sighted ahead but it wisely turned north quickly. Still trying to work to the northward, the destroyer’s course was altered to 040° at 0814 hours and to 030° at 0821 hours. The enemy re-opened fire at 0825 hours, but again his shooting was very short and erratic. After five minutes the enemy ceased fire and was then seen to be altering course to the southward. HMAS Sydney and HMS Havock sighted by the destroyer division. At 0819/19 gun flashes were seen away on the port beam of HMS Hyperion and a minute later the destroyers enjoyed the welcome sight of HMAS Sydney and HMS Havock bearing 290°, range 10 nautical miles. Commander Nicolson immediately altered course, first to 020° and at 0832 hours to 240°. Finally at 0835 hours he formed the division in line ahead and altered course to 260°. The enemy cruisers, now 17400 yards distant, were steaming fast to the southward, making heavy black smoke. At 0838 hours, the destroyer division, now steering 170°, opened fire in divisional concentration at extreme range on the left hand cruiser but the enemy was drawing out of range and the destroyers ceased fire at 0843 hours as their salvoes were falling short. At 0844 hours, HMAS Sydney ordered the destroyers to ‘close and attack the enemy with torpedoes’. Course was altered together to 215°, and the Hyperion signalling the division to form on a line bearing 350°, at 0846 hours fired a ranging salvo. One minute later the enemy altered course to starboard. HMAS Sydney engaged enemy cruisers. The action now had become a stern chase, whose main interest lies in the movements of HMAS Sydney from the moment of her sighting the enemy. Her unexpected arrival together with HMS Havock seems to have taken the Italians completely by surprise. They were then engaged with the destroyers on the other side, and, in fact, their first impression was that they had to deal with two Allied cruisers. At 0829 hours, when HMAS Sydney opened fire on the leading enemy cruiser at a range of 20000 yards. The fall of her salvoes were the first intimation of her presence to the enemy. The destroyer division was at that time still out of sight. When the enemy recovered from their surprise at 0832 hours, he returned a concentrated fire on the Sydney, while the latter continued on a south-easterly course to intercept the destroyer division at and at the same time to close the enemy. The enemy salvoes fell short at first, then over, with an occasional straddle. At 0835 hours, the Sydney’s fire appeared to be effective, and the enemy was seen to be turning away. When the destroyer division was sighted at 0838 hours, steering south, about 6 nautical miles off, HMS Havock hauled over to join the other destroyers. Captain Collins signalled the destroyer division to attack with torpedoes, but a further alteration off course by the enemy, to the south-westward at 0840 hours prevented any possibility of a torpedo attack. HMAS Sydney turned to course 215° in pursuit of the now rapidly retreating enemy, and an alteration which brought her on the beam of the destroyers, who, at 0846 hours, were practically in line abreast in close order chasing at full speed. In the early stages of the action there was some difficulty of identifying the class of the enemy cruisers but by now they had been identified as being of the ‘Bande Nere’ class. In fact they were the Giovanni delle Bande Nere herself and the Bartolomeo Colleoni which had left Tripoli on 17 July for Leros. Chase of the enemy cruisers. About 0846/19 the Sydney’s original target was so obscured by smoke that fire was shifted to the rear cruiser (the Colleoni), which was engaged by ‘A’ and ‘B’ turrets on bearing 203° at a range of 18000 yards. The destroyer division at 0848 hours also renewed its fire at extreme range for a couple of minutes. At 0851 hours, as the enemy altered course to port, the Sydney made a similar movement, which had the effect of opening her ‘A’ arcs. The enemy, making vast quantities of smoke, next altered course at 0853 hours to starboard. The purpose of these manoeuvres are not clear. Perhaps they were trying to throw of the pursuit to the eastward under the cover of smoke. If so it failed, for the Sydney, observing the enemy steading on course 230° at 0856 hours, resumed the chase in a south-westerly direction. For a minute, at 0901 hours, the Sydney checked fire while she shifted target again to the leading cruiser (Bande Nere). When this ship at 0908 hours again became obscured by smoke fire was shifted back to the rear cruiser (Colleoni) then bearing 210° at a range of 18500 yards. At 0915 hours, HMAS Sydney altered course 30° to starboard to open her ‘A’ arcs, and it was soon evident that her fire had considerable effect. With the range down to 17500 yards at 0919 hours the Sydney also came under an accurate fire, receiving her only hit at 0921 hours. This projectile, bursting on the foremost funnel, blew a hole about 3 feet square in the casings, causing minor damage to three boats and some fittings but only one slight casualty. The Bartolomeo Colleoni disabled. The range now began to close rapidly, and at 0923/19 the Colleoni was seen to be stopped, apparently out of action, in position 250° , Cape Spada, 5 nautical miles. According to the evidence of prisoners, she was brought to by a shot in the engine or boiler room. All her lights went out and the electrical machinery ceased functioning, including the turret power hoists and steering gear. The Colleoni was now left to her fate by the Bande Nere, which, after making a tentative turn towards made off at high speed, and, steering 205°, rounded Agria Grabusa Island at a distance of about a mile. During the 40 minutes chase described above, the destroyer division, at 32 knots, had made every effort to reduce the range, altering course as necessary from time to time. At 0909 hours, fire was renewed for a minute to test the range, and at 0911 hours the division formed on a line of bearing 350° . At 0918 hours, the range of the rear cruiser (Colleoni) was down to 17000 yards and closing rapidly. Course was altered to 240° at 0923 hours and fire opened in a divisional concentration on the Colleoni from 14500 yards. At 0928 hours the Colleoni was seen to be stopped and silent. For some minutes she had been hit repeatedly. Her whole bridge structure was soon in flames. The Bartolomeo Colleoni torpedoed. The Hyperion and the Ilex prepared to attack with torpedoes and the Hero was ordered by Commander Nicholson to take charge of the other two destroyers. At 0935/19, HMS Hyperion fired four and HMS Ilex two torpedoes from a range of 1400 yards. One torpedo from the Ilex hit the Colleoni forward, blowing away about 100 feet of her bows and her aircraft. The Hyperion’s torpedoes, however, owning to too great a spread, passed two ahead and two astern of the Colleoni and ran on to explode on the shore of Agria Grabusa Island. According to survivors accounts, the men of the Colleoni started to jump overboard as soon as the ship stopped, and many of them were in the sea before to torpedo from the Ilex struck the ship. She had suffered many casualties forward, round the bridge and on the upper deck. Her Captain (Captain U. Navaro) was seriously wounded and died from his wounds at Alexandria on 23 July 1940. The Italians were much impressed by the rate and accuracy of the gunfire from the Allied ships and their tactical superiority. During the chase the destroyers were never within satisfactory range, the last distance being 14000 yards until after the Colleoni started to drop back. The shooting from HMAS Sydney as seen from HMS Hyperion had been excellent except for a short spell when a large spread was noted. When Captain Collins, at 0933 hours, ordered Commander Nicholson to torpedo the Colleoni the range was 7500 yards. The Colleoni was then on fire amidships, and a heavy explosion was seen to occur forward. Captain Collins signaled to HMS Hyperion to leave one destroyer to deal with the disabled enemy and to resume the chase of the other cruiser in which HMAS Sydney, HMS Hero and HMS Hasty were pressing on at full speed. Sinking of the Bartolomeo Colleoni. At 0952/19 the Hyperion closed in and, observing the Colleoni more or less abandoned but not sinking or too heavily on fire, Commander Nicholson’s first intention, as he passed down her starboard side, was to go alongside and salve everything possible. Barely two minutes elapsed, however, before a large fire, breaking out in the forward superstructure, was followed by an explosion which blew the whole bridge away in a cloud of smoke. The Hyperion then fired another torpedo at short range, which hit the doomed ship amidships. At 0959 hours the Colleoni heeled over and sank bottom up, in position 029° , Agria Grabusa lighthouse, 4.6 nautical miles. HMS Hyperion and HMS Ilex immediately began to rescue survivors in which they were soon joined by HMS Havock. Chase of the Giovanni delle Bande Nere. At 0945/19 the Bande Nere, after passing between the island of Pondiko Nisi and the Cretan mainlan, bore 192° at a range of 20000 yards. As on board the Sydney ammunition in the ‘A’ and ‘B’ turrets was running low she had to check fire. The Bande Nere however, continued firing from her after guns but the shots consistently fell 300 yards away on the Sydney’s quarter. Captain Collins at 0955 hours repeated his signal to the destroyers to finish off the Colleoni and three minutes later he re-opened fire on the Bande Nere from 20000 yards. With the range increasing and the visibility of the target and fall of shot becoming more and more indistinct HMAS Sydney checked fire again at 1011 hours. The haze combined with the enemy’s smoke now rendered spotting conditions impossible. The result from a final couple of salvoes at 1022 hours from 21000 yards could not be observed. By that time the Sydney had remaining only four rounds per gun in ‘A’ turret and only one round per gun in ‘B’ turret. Shortly afterwards the Bande Nere, now 11 nautical miles off, was completely lost from sight in the haze. She was last seen to do 32 knots on course 200°. HMS Hero and HMS Hasty had continued the chase at 31 knots, firing ranging salvoes at intervals, which all fell short. At 1028 hours, HMS Hero informed HMAS Sydney that she was unable to close the enemy and broke off the chase. She formed, with HMS Hasty a close screen on HMAS Sydney. When last seen from the destroyers at 1044 hours, the Bande Nere bore 177°, 15 nautical miles. At 1037 hours, HMAS Sydney finally abandoned the chase and altered course for Alexandria, reducing speed to 25 knots to allow HMS Hyperion and HMS Ilex to come up. Rescue of the survivors from the Bartolomeo Colleoni. At 1024/19, leaving HMS Havock to continue picking up survivors of the Colleoni, HMS Hyperion and HMS Ilex had proceeded at high speed to join HMAS Sydney. HMS Ilex had 230 prisoners on board of which about 30 were seriously wounded and 3 subsequently died the same night. HMS Havock, as mentioned earlier, had been ahead of HMAS Sydney, but had proceeded to join the other destroyers when the action commenced. Taking up station on the starboard wing when she got within range at 0911 hours and joined in with the concentration fire. The shooting, even at longer range, appeared to be effective, several hits being observed. HMS Havock then joined HMS Hyperion and HMS Ilex and closed in on the Colleoni after that ship had come to a halt. When the HMS Hyperion and HMS Ilex left the scene of the sinking HMS Havock carried on rescuing the survivors. By 1237 hours she had picked up some 260 survivors. Six Italian bombers were then seen approaching from the southward. HMS Havock was forced to abandon her humane task and left the scene at full speed for Alexandria. HMS Havock damaged in air attack. At 1245/19 the enemy aircraft attacked in two formations of three aircraft each but without success. At 1455 hours nine more aircraft attacked in flights of three, the second flight scoring a near miss which penetrated and flooded no.2 boiler room. These attacks, which were made from levels between 3000 and 4000 feet were countered with effective gunfire, which in two instances broke up the formations. Two ratings in the boiler room received minor injuries. The bomb that caused the damage appeared to be 250lb, which burst 6 feet under water, about 10 feet from the ships side. After loosing way for about 5 minutes, the Havock picked up speed again and proceeded at 24 knots. On receiving the Havock’s signals around 1500 hours, reporting her damage, HMAS Sydney turned back to support her. HMS Hero and HMS Hasty were ordered to continue to Alexandria. Shorty afterwards a heavy bombing attack was made on HMAS Sydney but without success. Realising the possible danger of submarine attack, Captain Collins, ordered HMS Hyperion and HMS Ilex to join him. At 1540 hours, HMS Havock was sighted and HMAS Sydney took station one nautical mile astern of her. Meanwhile HMS Hyperion and HMS Ilex were proceeding towards Alexandria being unable to make rendez-vous. When the report of HMS Havock was received stating that she was damaged in an air attack, Commander Nicholson turned back and at 1840 hours they made rendez-vous with the Sydney and Havock. One more air attack was made between 1845 and 1848 hours but no damage was done. At 2100 hours, HMAS Sydney parted company to join the 7th Cruiser Squadron. The destroyers continued on towards Alexandria where they arrived at 0845/20. Fleet movements 19-20 July 1940. Acting on the possibility that other enemy forces might be at sea, the Commander-in-Chief, immediately after he received information that enemy ships had been sighted off Cape Spada, took the following measures; Air reconnaissance by flying boats of 201 Group was to be sent out to search for the Bande Nere. The movements of Convoy Aegean North 2 were postponed and the ships which had sailed from Port Said were ordered to return. An oiler convoy from Alexandria to Port Said was ordered to proceed unescorted. The Fleet was ordered to proceed to sea. At 0915/19, HMS Orion (Capt. G.R.B. Back, RN) with HMS Neptune (Capt. R.C. O'Conor, RN) put to sea to sweep to the north-westward. At 1100/19, HMS Warspite (Capt. D.B. Fisher, OBE, RN, flying the flag of A/Admiral Sir A.B. Cunningham, KCB, DSO and 2 Bars, RN) with a destroyer screen (these appeared to have been HMS Jervis (Capt. P.J. Mack, DSO, RN), HMS Mohawk (Cdr. J.W.M. Eaton, RN) and HMS Stuart (Capt. H.M.L. Waller, RAN)) sailed for a sweep in the same direction. At 1230/19, HMS Malaya (Capt. Sir A.F.E. Palliser, DSC, RN), HMS Ramillies (Capt. H.T. Baillie-Grohman, OBE, DSO, RN), HMS Eagle (Capt. A.R.M. Bridge, RN), HMS Liverpool (Capt. P.A. Read, RN) and a destroyer screen (seems to be made up of HMS Nubian (Cdr. R.W. Ravenhill, RN), HMS Janus (Cdr. J.A.W. Tothill, RN), HMS Diamond (Lt.Cdr. P.A. Cartwright, RN), HMS Hereward (Lt.Cdr. C.W. Greening, RN), HMS Imperial (Lt.Cdr. C.A.deW. Kitcat, RN), HMAS Vendetta (Lt.Cdr. R. Rhoades RAN) and HMS Voyager (Cdr. J.C. Morrow, RAN)) sailed for a sweep to the westward. From the Sydney’s last enemy report at 1016/19, indicating that the Bande Nere was steaming south-westwards at high speed it was evident that she could reach Tobruk without being intercepted if she was making for that port. HMS Eagle was therefore ordered to prepare a striking force to attack Tobruk harbour and 201 Group was requested to make a dusk reconnaissance. HMS Liverpool was detached to join HMAS Sydney as additional escort for the damaged HMS Havock. HMS Liverpool joined HMAS Sydney at 0500/20. As there was no further information of the Bande Nere during the afternoon, the Commander-in-Chief decided that at 2100 hours all forces should return to Alexandria. The aircraft from HMS Warspite which was catapulted at 1700/19 to make a search of the Tobruk area made a forced lading to the eastward of that port. The destroyer HMS Jervis was detached to search the area for the missing aircraft but failed to find it. Search for the aircraft continued on the 20th by aircraft from 201 Group but again they failed to find the missing aircraft. An Italian report on 25 July 1940 stated that the crew had been rescued. Aircraft of No. 55 and 211 Squadrons carried out bombing attacks on shipping in Tobruk harbour and claimed several hits. At 0240/20 six aircraft from No. 844 Squadron FAA from HMS Eagle made a successful moonlight torpedo attack on shipping at Tobruk, encountering heavy barrage fire from all sides of the harbour, which damaged three aircraft, seriously wounded one observer and slightly wounded a pilot. Hits were claimed on three ships, and a sheet of flame from an oiler indicated that she was carrying petrol. During this attack the Italian destroyers Nembo and Ostro were sunk as was the merchant vessel Sereno (2333 GRT, built 1918). The Fleet returned to Alexandria on the morning of the 20th where all ships cheered HMAS Sydney and the destroyers when they entered harbour. The total number of Italian prisoners disembarked was 545 officers and men from a complement of the Bartolomeo Colleoni of about 630 officers and men. The Bande Nere eventually returned to Tripoli and was reported there on 26 July.


Royal Navy Heavy cruiser HMS Dorsetshire: HMS Dorsetshire (Capt. B.C.S. Martin, RN) is undocked.

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 10: HrMs O 10 (Lt. J.H. Geijs, RNN) shifted from Oban to Tobermory. She was escorted by HMS Martinetta (T/Lt. J.A. Brightman, RNVR).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Unbeaten: HMS Unbeaten (Lt. E.A. Woodward, RN) ended her 6th war patrol (5th in the Mediterranean) at Malta.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Rorqual: HMS Rorqual (Lt. L.W. Napier, RN) ended her 15th war patrol (12th in the Mediterranean) at Alexandria.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Tribune: HMS Tribune (Lt.Cdr. W.A.K.N. Cavaye, RN) conducted exercises off Blyth with a training class of new submariners.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Triumph (i): HMS Triumph (Cdr. W.J.W. Woods, RN) was docked at Malta in No.1 dock for a short refit. (As there is no log available for August 1941 it is not known to us when she was undocked).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Taku: As a result of an ULTRA intercept, HMS Taku (Lt.Cdr. E.C.F. Nicolay, RN), patrolled north of Benghazi to intercept the Italian transport Bosforo (3647 GRT, 1929). The submarine had been informed that the Italia vessel was leaving Naples and would be at 0630C/19 July in position 33°06'N, 20°16'E where it would be met by a torpedo-boat and arrive at Benghazi at 1200C the same day. Nothing was sighted except a fishing boat at 0900/19 in position 32°33'N, 20°05.6'E. Bosforo in fact arrived on the afternoon of the 19th, a few hours late on her schedule. Captain S.1 was later criticized for having sent a signal which was too explicit and could have compromised the ULTRA secret it had been deciphered by the enemy or fallen in its hands. It was felt, that he ought to have just changed the submarine patrol position.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Tuna: HMS Tuna (Lt.Cdr. M.K. Cavenagh-Mainwaring, DSO, RN) fires 6 torpedoes at the German tanker Benno (8306 GRT, built 1939, former Norwegian Ole Jacob, offsite link) escorted by the German minesweepers M 18, M 25, M 27 and M 30 60 nautical miles north-west of the Gironde estuary in position 45°21'N, 02°23'W. Although six detonations were heard all torpedoes missed their target(s). The Ole Jacob was captured on 10 November 1940 by the German armed merchant cruiser Atlantis in the Bay of Bengal in position 06°30'N, 90°13'E. (time zone unknown, not mentioned in patrol report and no log available) 0048 hours - A darkened object was sighted and HE was heard bearing Green 04°. 0050 hours - Increased to full speed and closed. After about 10 minutes two destroyers could be distinguished ahead of the target. Shortly afterwards another destroyer was seen astern as well as another unidentified vessel. In position in position 45°21'N, 02°23'W fired six torpedoes at the target from about 6000 yards. 0114 hours - Dived. Half a minute later a loud explosion was heard, followed shortly afterwards by another. Tuna went to 150 feet and rigged for depth charging but nothing further happened and Tuna surfaced about 1,5 hours after the attack and cleared the area.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Unique: HMS Unique (Lt. A.F. Collett, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Malta with HMS Encounter (Lt.Cdr. E.V.St.J. Morgan, RN) and and HMS Beryl (Mid. H.W. du Boisson, RNR)

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Upholder: HMS Upholder (Lt.Cdr. M.D. Wanklyn, RN) departed Malta for her 14th war patrol (12th in the Mediterranean). She was ordered to patrol North of Isola di Marettimo. For the daily and attack positions of HMS Upholder during this patrol see the map below.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 31: HMS H 31 (Lt. R.J. Hemingway, DSC, RN) participated in A/S exercises off Lough Foyle.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 34: HMS H 34 (Lt. H. Winter, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Campbeltown with HMS Bretwalda (Skr. J. Windram, RNR).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 43: HMS H 43 (Lt. J.D. Martin, RN) participated in A/S exercises off Lough Foyle.

Royal Navy Battleship HMS Prince of Wales: HMS Prince of Wales (Capt. C.H.J. Harcourt, RN) shifted from Rosyth to Scapa Flow. She was escorted by the destroyers HMS Icarus (Lt.Cdr. C.D. Maud, DSC and Bar, RN), HMS Active (Lt.Cdr. M.W. Tomkinson, RN) and HMS Achates (Lt.Cdr. Viscount Jocelyn, RN).

Soviet Navy Submarine USSR L-3: L-3 lays a minefield off Br?sterort.

Soviet Navy Submarine USSR S-11: S-11 fires a torpedo against the German auxiliary minesweeper Sperrbrecher 11 some 10 nautical miles north-west of Polanga, Lithuania. The torpedo misses its target.


Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 21: HrMs O 21 (Lt.Cdr. J.F. van Dulm, RNN) arrived at Holy Loch for a period of trials and exercises.

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 23: HrMs O 23 (Lt.Cdr. A.M. Valkenburg, RNN) departed Colombo for her 14th war patrol (1st in the Far East). She was ordered to patrol in the Malacca Staits. For the daily and attack positions of HrMs O 23 during this patrol see the map below. Ver HrMs O 23 14th war patrol click here for bigger map

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 24: HrMs O 24 (Lt. W.J. de Vries, RNN) departed Holy Loch for Gibraltar. This is the first leg of the trip to the Far East. She is escorted through the Irish Sea by the British armed yacht HMS White Bear (Cdr. (retired) C.C. Flemming, RN). For the daily positions of HrMs O 24 during this passage see the map below. View HrMs O 24 passage Holy Loch - Colombo in a larger map

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 10: HrMs O 10 (Lt. Baron D.T. Mackay, RNN) participated in A/S exercises off Ardishaig with ML's.

US Navy Submarine USS Pompano: USS Pompano (Lt.Cdr. Willis Manning Thomas) left Pearl Harbor for her third war patrol, and was ordered to patrol in Japanese home waters.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Proteus: HMS Proteus (Lt. R.L. Alexander, RN) arrived at Beirut.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Sahib: HMS P 212 (Lt. J.H. Bromage, DSC, RN) arrived at Holy Loch.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Tribune: HMS Tribune (Lt. N.J. Coe, DSC, RNR) departed from Lerwick for Blyth escorted by the trawler HMS Lord Lloyd (T/Lt. M.W. Bond, RNVR).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Thrasher: HMS Thrasher (Lt. H.S. Mackenzie, DSO, RN) arrived at Port Said where she was immediately docked.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Traveller: HMS Traveller (Lt. M.B. St. John, RN) departed Haifa for her 2nd war patrol. She was ordered to patrol in the Adriatic. En-route to her patrol area she is to patrol along the North coast of Crete. For the daily and attack positions of HMS Traveller during this patrol see the map below. View HMS Traveller 2nd war patrol in a larger map

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Unshaken: HMS P 54 (Lt. C.E. Oxborrow, DSC, RN) arrived at Dundee.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 28: HMS H 28 (Lt. J.S. Bridger, RN) participated in A/S exercises off Campbeltown.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 43: HMS H 43 (Lt. A.R. Profit, DSC, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Plymouth with ML's.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 44: HMS H 44 (Lt. J.P. Fyfe, RN) participated in A/S exercises off Lough Foyle.

Royal Navy Sloop HMS Wellington: HMS Wellington (Lt.Cdr. W.F.R. Segrave, RN) picks up 41 survivors from the British merchant Lavington Court that is torpedoed and sunk by German U-boat U-564 about 200 nautical miles north of the Azores in position 42°38'N, 25°28'W.

US Navy Submarine USS S-42: USS S-42 (Lt. O.G. Krik) returns to Adler Bay to re-embark the Australian agent she landed a week ago.

US Navy Submarine USS R-12: USS R-12 (Lt. E.E. Shelby, USN) participated in A/S exercises of Guantanamo Bay together with USS Mervine (Lt.Cdr. S.D. Willingham, USN) and USS Meade (Lt.Cdr. R.S. Lamb, USN).

Soviet Navy Submarine USSR ShCh-303: ShCh-303 fires a torpedo against ' what is identified as ' a merchant off Ut?, Finland. The torpedo missed its target.

Royal Hellenic Navy Submarine RHS Nereus: While on patrol of Karpathos, Nereus (Lt.Cdr. Rallis) fires four torpedoes at what is thought to be a 6000 ton merchant. In reality it was the Italian hospital ship Sicilia (9646 GRT). All torpedoes missed the target.


Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 9: HrMs O 9 (Lt. J.B.M.J. Maas, RNN) participated in A/S exercises off Campbeltown with HMS L'Incomprise (Lt.Cdr.(Retd.) F.S. Deveson, RNR) and HMS Altair (Lt.Cdr.(Retd.) W.R.T. Clements, RNR).

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 10: HrMs O 10 (Lt.Cdr. Baron D.T. Mackay, RNN) participated in A/S exercises with ML's off Ardishaig.

US Navy Submarine USS Porpoise: USS Porpoise (Lt.Cdr. C.L. Bennett) torpedoed and sank the Japanese troop transport Mikage Maru Nr.20 (2718 GRT) south of Wake Island in position 18°45'N, 166°04'E.

US Navy Submarine USS Albacore: Made a torpedo attack against a Japanese transport, estimated at 6400 tgr, claiming one hit. This was not confirmed post-war.

US Navy Submarine USS Jack: USS Jack (Lt.Cdr. T.M. Dykers) ended her 1st war patrol at Pearl Harbor.

US Navy Submarine USS Tullibee: USS Tullibee (Cdr. C.F. Brindupke) departed from Pearl Harbor for her 1st war patrol. She was ordered to patrol in the Caroline Islands area.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Ursula: HMS Ursula (Lt. A.G. Davies, RN) departed Rothesay for Blyth where she was to refit. She was escorted until 1220/21 by the Free French corvette FFS Renoncule. At 1220/21 the British ASW trawler HMS Loch Monteith (T/Lt. K.W. Richardson, RNR) took over the escort.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Oberon: HMS Oberon (Lt.Cdr. J.W. McCoy, DSC, RN) conducted exercises in the Clyde area with a training class of new submariners.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Osiris: HMS Osiris (Lt. A.G. Chandler, RNR) conducted exercises off Beirut.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Severn: HMS Severn (Lt.Cdr. A.N.G. Campbell, RN) conducted exercises off Algiers.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Safari: HMS Safari (Lt. R.B. Lakin, DSO, DSC, RN) attacked the German barges Maria, Paula and the Italian armed yacht Margherita (88 GRT) with gunfire off the port of Favone, Corsica, France. Maria (or Marie) received a direct hit and sank, Paula was hit several times but above the water-line and could resume her passage the next day. Margherita was hit nine times and ran aground in Porto Vecchio. Apparently there were no casualties. (All times are zone -1) 1420 hours - Sighted a German transport barge proceeding Northward. Closed submerged for gun action. 1430 hours - The barge stopped in Favone Cove. A second barge arrived and secured alongside. 1500 hours - A small naval auxiliary arrived. She was southbound and was loaded with some sort of cargo. 1514 hours - Surfaced and opened fire on the naval auxiliary. 15 Rounds were fired from 600 yards. 6 or 7 hits were obtained on the waterline. The crew had abandoned ship as soon as fire was opened. Then shifted fire to the barges which had anchored about 300 yards from the shore. 42 Rounds were fired from 1100 yards. 1521 hours - After about 35 hits on the nearest barge, for no apparent effect broke off the action to conserve ammunition. 1525 hours - Fired a torpedo from 1100 yards. It was seen to pass under the barges but exploded 3 seconds later on hitting the shore. Proceeded to seaward. 1539 hours - One of the barges was seen to capsize and sink. The other was in a sinking condition as was the naval auxiliary.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Sickle: HMS Sickle (Lt. J.R. Drummond, DSC, RN) sank the Italian auxiliary minesweeper V 131/Angiola Maria C. (65 GRT) with gunfire off Porto Vecchio, Italy. (All times are zone -2) 0835 hours - A schooner approached from the East. It remained in the vicinity for three hours. She appeared to follow Sickle around and was most likely an A/S vessel. 1135 hours - A second schooner approached from the East. The first schooner closed her and at 1225 hours she made off to the South-West. 1308 hours - Closed the second schooner to 400 yards. After inspection decided for gun action. 1314 hours - Unfortunately the periscope was sighted by one of the schooners crew. This did not result in the Italians taking offensive action but in them abandoning ship !!! 1319 hours - Surfaced. 1327 hours - Secured alongside. A boarding party removed as much as possible that could be of any use. 1344 hours - The schooner was set on fire. An explosive charge had also been placed in the bilges. 1352 hours - Dived. 1405 hours - The schooner blew up and sank.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Truant: HMS Truant (Lt.Cdr. J.G. Hopkins, RN) is undocked.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Torbay: While on patrol near Civitavecchia HMS Torbay (Lt. R.J. Clutterbuck, RN) fires four torpedoes at the French merchant (in Axis service) San Pedro (5947 GRT, built 1931) escorted by the Italian torpedo boats Pegaso and Nicola Fabrizi but all torpedoes missed their target. (All times are zone -2) 0827 hours - Sighted a camouflaged 5000 ton merchant ship at 7000 yards steering 315° at 10 knots. The ship was in ballast. Two torpedo boats were escorting the merchant. Closed for attack. 0933 hours - In position 115° Giannutri Island lighthouse 9 nautical miles fired four torpedoes from 3500 yards. All torpedoes missed but one of the escorting torpedo boats came towards at high speed. No depth charges were dropped and no hunt materialised.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Tantalus: HMS Tantalus (Lt.Cdr. H.S. Mackenzie, DSO and Bar, RN) is docked at Holy Loch.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Upright: HMS Upright (Lt. P.R.H. Harrison, DSO, DSC, RN) conducted exercises of Blyth training a class of new submariners.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Unshaken: HMS Unshaken (Lt. J. Whitton, RN) ended her 16th war patrol (12th in the Mediterranean) at Malta.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 28: HMS H 28 (Lt. E.C. Croswell, DSC, RN) participated in A/S exercises off Campbeltown.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 34: HMS H 34 (Lt. B. Charles, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Lough Foyle with HMS Pelican (Capt. G.N. Brewer, RN), HMS Wear, HMS Jed (Lt.Cdr. R.C. Freaker, DSO, RD, RNR), HMS Rother (Lt.Cdr. R.V.E. Case, DSO, DSC and Bar, RD, RNR), HMS Saxifage (T/Lt. J. Renwick, DSO, RNR) and one other vessel [unable to read the name in the log of HMS H 34].

Royal Navy Submarine HMS P 511: HMS P 511 (Lt. C.W. Taylor, RNR) conducted A/S exercises off Lough Foyle together with HMS Fowey (Cdr.(Retd.) L.B.A. Majendie, RN), HMS Mallow (T/A/Lt.Cdr. H.T.S. Clouston, RNVR), HMS Myosotis (T/Lt. R. Lugg, RNR) and HMS St. Marys (Lt. D.B.G. Dumas, RN).

US Navy Submarine USS R-4: USS R-4 (Lt.Cdr. W.L. Fey, Jr., USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-10: USS R-10 (Lt.Cdr. E.D`H. Haskins, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-11: USS R-11 (Lt.Cdr. W.B. Parham, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-14: USS R-14 (Lt.Cdr. R. Holden, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-20: USS R-20 (Lt.Cdr. E.T. Shepard, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

Soviet Navy Submarine USSR S-56: S-56 torpedoed and sank the German auxiliary patrol vessel NKi 09 / Alane (466 GRT, former British ASW trawler HMS Warwickshire) off the Tanafjord near Gamvik.

Polish Navy Submarine ORP Dzik: Near Malta ORP Dzik fires four torpedoes at what is thought to be an enemy submarine. Luckily the torpedoes missed their target as it turned out to be fired against HMS Unshaken.

Polish Navy Submarine ORP Sokol: ORP Sokol (Kpt.mar J. Kolziolkowski) arrived at Bizerta.


Royal Dutch Navy Light cruiser HNMS Tromp: During 19/20 July 1944, HrMs Tromp (A/Capt. F. Stam, RNN), conducted exercises together with the British light cruisers HMS Ceylon (Capt. G.B. Amery-Parkes, RN), HMS Nigeria (Capt. H.A. King, DSO, RN), HMS Kenya (Capt. C.L. Robertson, RN) and the New Zealand light cruiser HMNZS Gambia (Capt. N.J.W. William-Powlett, DSC, RN).

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS K XIV: At 0806 hours (zone -9) HrMs K XIV (Lt.Cdr. J.F. Drijfhout van Hooff, RNN) was attacked by a Japanese aircraft in position 02.15'S, 129.33'E. K XIV sustained no damage.

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS K XI: During 19 to 22 July 1944 HrMs K XI (Lt.Cdr. P.G. de Back, RNN) conducted A/S exercises off Visakhapatnam.

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 19: HrMs O 19 (Lt.Cdr. A. van Karnebeek, RNN) departed Aden fo Colombo.

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS O 9: HrMs O 9 (Lt. R.W. van Lynden, RNN) participated in A/S exercises off Campbeltown with HMS Altair (T/Lt. J.L. James, RNR) and HMS L' Atlantique (Skr. C.A. Collins, RNR).

US Navy Submarine USS Tautog: USS Tautog (Lt.Cdr. T.S. Baskett) sank the Japanese guard ship Hokuriku Maru No.1 (148 GRT) northeast of Tori Jima in position 31°30'N, 140°00'E.

US Navy Submarine USS Guardfish: USS Guardfish (Lt.Cdr. N.G. Ward) torpedoed and sank the Japanese transport ship Teiryu Maru (6512 GRT, built 1915) in the South China Sea, south-west of Formosa in position 20°00'N, 118°29'E.

US Navy Submarine USS Croaker: USS Croaker (Cdr. J.E. Lee) departed from Pearl Harbor for her 1st war patrol. She was ordered to patrol in the East China Sea and the Yellow Sea.

US Navy Submarine USS Flasher: USS Flasher (Cdr. R.T. Whitaker) torpedoed and sank the Japanese light cruiser Oi (5100 tons) (offsite link) in the South China Sea about 280 nautical miles east of Cape Varella, French Indochina in position 13°12'N, 114°52'E.

US Navy Submarine USS Pompon: USS Pompon (Lt.Cdr. S.H. Gimbler) departed from Midway for her 6th war patrol. She was ordered to patrol along the eastern coasts of Honshu and Hokkaido and in the Sea of Okhotsk.

US Navy Submarine USS Seahorse: USS Seahorse (Lt.Cdr. S.D. Cutter) ended her 5th war patrol at Pearl Harbor.

US Navy Submarine USS Apogon: USS Apogon (Cdr. W.P. Schoeni, USN) set course towards Midway as one of her crew suffered from appendicitis.

US Navy Submarine USS Aspro: USS Aspro (Cdr. W.A. Stevenson, USN) attacked a Japanese convoy of four merchant vessels and five escorts in the Molucca Sea in position 02°20'S, 126°37'E. No hits were obtained. The convoy attacked was most likely made up of the Japanese transports Celebes Maru (5857 GRT, built 1917), Taian Maru (5492 GRT, built 1921), Taikai Maru (2508 GRT, built 1919) and Toyo Maru (2725 GRT, built 1943) and was escorted by the Japanese minesweepers W 5 and W 8 and the Japanese submarine chaser Ch-60 (all offsite links). The convoy was en-route from Bitung, Celebes, Netherlands East Indies to Ambon. (All times are zone -8) 0220 hours - In position 02°20'S, 126°37'E obtained contact with the SJ radar bearing 083°, range 15500 yards. Lost contact several times due to the extreme range. There were four or five contacts close together. 0259 hours - Regained contact bearing 109°, range 16200 yards. Maintained contact and commenced tracking. The convoy was on a southeasterly course. Went ahead at flank speed to obtain a position ahead. It appeared the convoy was en-route to Ambon. 0410 hours - Reached a position ahead of the convoy, range was 15000 yards. As there was now not enought time left to make a night surface attack decided to attack from periscope depth at dawn. 0450 hours - Sighted the enemy convoy. Four fairly good sized ships were observed. Two were smoking quite heavily. 0510 hours - Heard pinging in the direction of the convoy. 0511 hours - Submerged and commenced approach. 0545 hours - Fired four bow torpedoes at the second transport from the left in the convoy. Range was 1800 yards. It is thought three hits were obtained on this ship. 0546 hours - Fired the remaining two bow torpedoes at the third transport. Range was 1450 yards. Swung to the right to bring the stern tubes to bear. 0547 hours - Fired four stern torpedoes from a range of 2300 yards. Went deep after firing the last torpedo. It is thought three of the stern torpedoes hit. 0551 hours - Depth charging started. A total of 9 were counted but none was very close. 0705 hours - Returned to periscope depth. Saw one of the escorts patrolling the area. It is thought two of the four tansports in the convoy were sunk.

US Navy Submarine USS Barbel: USS Barbel (Cdr. R.A. Keating Jr., USN) made a short stop a Midway for small voyage repairs and to top off with fuel before proceeding for her patrol area later the same day.

US Navy Submarine USS Blackfin: Having completed her torpedo firing trials, USS Blackfin (Cdr. G.H. Laird, Jr., USN), returned to New London, Connecticut from Newport, Rhode Island.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Statesman: HMS Statesman (Lt. R.G.P. Bulkeley, RN) arrived at Trincomalee.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Taku: HMS Taku (T/Lt. P.S. Parmenter, RNR) conducted exercises off Blyth with a training class of new submariners.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Upright: HMS Upright (Lt. J.A.L. Wilkinson, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Campbeltown with HMS Bedlington (Skr. A.W. Peak, RNR) and HMS La Cordeliere (Lt.Cdr. A.J.G. Barff, RNR). These were followed by night exercises with HMS H 43 (Lt. F.R. Lawrence, RN).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Unbending: HMS Unbending (Lt. J. Whitton, DSC, RN) conducted exercises off Blyth with a training class of new submariners.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Unrivalled: HMS Unrivalled (Lt. D.S. Brown, RNVR) arrived at Barrow to repair a defective motor.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Untamed: HMS Vitality (Lt. K.S. Renshaw, DSC, RNR) departed Barrow for Holy Loch. She was escorted by HMS Cutty Sark.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Varangian: HMS Varangian (Lt. G.J. Glennie, RANVR) participated in A/S exercises off Tobermory.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Upstart: HMS Upstart (Lt. P.C. Chapman, DSC and Bar, RN) departed La Maddalena for her 11th war patrol (9th in the Mediterranean). She was ordered to patrol off the coast of southern France, from Toulon to the westward.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Vampire: While on patrol off Milos, Greece HMS Vampire (Lt. C.W. Taylor, RNR) fires four torpedoes at the German merchant Pelikan and the German torpedo boat TA 19 (former Italian Calatafini). All torpedoes missed their target(s).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Vivid: HMS Vivid (Lt. J.C. Varley, RN) sank a Greek fishing vessel with gunfire off Santorini Island, Greece.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 34: HMS H 34 (Lt. R.L. Jay, RN) is docked at Rothesay.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 43: HMS H 43 (Lt. F.R. Lawrence, RN) participated in A/S exercises off Campbeltown.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS H 50: HMS H 50 (Lt. W.T.J. Fox, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Campbeltown with HMS St. Modwen (Lt.Cdr. J.M. Lycett, RD, RNR) and HMS Shemara (Cdr.(Retd.) H. Buckle, RN).

Royal Navy Submarine HMS P 512: HMS P 512 (Lt. J.A. Wingate, DSC, RN) participated in A/S exercises off Bermuda.

US Navy Submarine USS R-1: USS R-1 (Lt. W.A. Schoenfeld, USN) conducted exercises off Bermuda.

US Navy Submarine USS R-2: USS R-2 (Lt.Cdr. L.G. Bernard, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-4: USS R-4 (Lt. D.C. Peto, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-11: USS R-11 (Lt.Cdr. W.B. Parham, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-13: USS R-13 (Lt.Cdr. D.L. Mehlop, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-20: USS R-20 (Lt.Cdr. J.B. Dudley, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

Soviet Navy Submarine USSR ShCh-209: At 2035 hours ShCh-209 attacked a convoy north-east of the Bosporus in position 41°21'N, 29°18'E and fires 4 torpedoes against the Turkish merchant Kanarya (2363 GRT). All 4 torpedoes missed their target.


US Navy Battleship USS Iowa: USS Iowa (Capt. J.L. Holloway, Jr., USN) Topped off four of the destroyers of the Task Group, USS McDermut (Cdr. C.B. Jennings, USN), USS Remey (Lt.Cdr. J.B. Balch, USN), USS Melvin (Cdr. B.K. Atkins, USN) and USS Mertz (Cdr. W.S. Maddox, USN), with fuel.

Royal Dutch Navy Submarine HNMS Dolfijn: HrMs Dolfijn (Lt.Cdr. J.B.M.J. Maas, RNN) conducted exercises off Dundee.

US Navy Submarine USS Bluefish: While on her 9th war patrol USS Bluefish (Lt.Cdr. G.W. Forbes, Jr.) sank a small Japanese vessel with gunfire east of Sumatra, Netherlands East Indies in position 00°04'S, 105°08'E.

US Navy Submarine USS Balao: USS Balao (Lt.Cdr. R.K. Worthington, USN) arrived at Saipan. She was escorted in by USS YMS 374.

US Navy Submarine USS Besugo: Late in the evening USS Besugo (Lt.Cdr. H.E. Miller, USN) made the southbound passage of Lombok Strait.

US Navy Submarine USS Charr: During the night of 19/20 July 1945, USS Charr (Cdr. F.D. Boyle, USN), passed Lombok Strait southbound while on the surface.

US Navy Submarine USS Brill: USS Brill (Cdr. H.B. Dodge, USN) attacked the Japanese destroyer Kamikaze with four torpedoes in the Gulf of Siam in position 07°32'N, 103°45'E. No hits were obtained. No counter attack followed. Kamikaze was part of the escort of a convoy made up of the small tankers Kyoei Maru No.3 (1189 GRT, built 1941), Hishi Maru No.3 (851 GRT, built 1944) and two other unidentified ships. Besides Kamikaze they were escorted by the auxiliary minesweeper Toshi Maru and two other unidentified escorts. (All times are zone G, -7) 1910 hours - In position 07°10'N, 103°52'E obtained radar contact bearing 215°(T), range 20000 yards. There were five pips on the screen. Sent out contact report and commenced tracking. 2118 hours - In a position 6 miles ahead of the convoy, which was zig-zagging on a base course north at a speed of 8 knots. Went to battle stations and commenced attack. 2142 hours - In position 07°32'N, 103°45'E fired four bow torpedoes from 2900 yards at the destroyer. Two minutes after firing the target turned towards and as a result all torpedoes missed. No counter attack developed.

US Navy Submarine USS Chopper: USS Chopper (Lt.Cdr. S. Filipone, USN) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS Clamagore: USS Clamagore (Cdr. S.C. Loomis, USN) arived at Newport, Rhode Island from New London, Connecticut for torpedo trials.

US Navy Submarine USS Lizardfish: USS Lizardfish (Cdr. O.M. Butler) sank three small Japanese vessels with gunfire in the Sunda Strait in position 05°55'S, 105°48'E.

US Navy Submarine USS Loggerhead: USS Loggerhead (Cdr. R.N. Metcalf) ended her 1st war patrol at Fremantle, Australia.

US Navy Submarine USS Piper: USS Piper (Cdr. E.L. Beach) departed from Pearl Harbor for her 3rd war patrol. She was ordered to patrol in the Sea of Japan.

US Navy Submarine USS Tirante: USS Tirante (Cdr. G.L. Street, III) ended her 2nd war patrol at Guam.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Rover: HMS Rover (Lt. M.J.L. Duff, DSC, RN) departed Trincomalee for Kilindini where she was to be decommissioned. As no log is available for this period no map can be displayed.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Rorqual: HMS Rorqual (Lt. J.P.H. Oakley, DSC, RN) departed Gibraltar for Portsmouth.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Sibyl: HMS Sibyl (Lt. H.R. Murray, RN) sank two sailing vessels with gunfire in the Malacca Strait. (All times are zone -6.5) 1445 hours - Sank a three-masted junk of about 90 tons in position 03°49'N, 100°45'E. 18 Rounds had been fired. 1512 hours - Sank a 70 tons junk leaving the Bernam River in position 03°48'N, 100°47'E. Fired 37 rounds from 3500 yards.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Sportsman: HMS Sportsman (Lt.Cdr. N.L.A. Jewell, MBE, DSC, RN) conducted attack exercises together with ORP Conrad.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Tuna: HMS Tuna (Lt.Cdr. R.L. Alexander, DSO, DSC, RN) departed Copenhagen for Kiel, Germany.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Thule: HMS Thule (Lt.Cdr. A.C.G. Mars, DSO, DSC, RN) sank a lugger with gunfire off the north coast of Java, Netherlands East Indies in position 06°11'S, 108°14'E. (All times are zone -9) 1511 hours - Surfaced in position 06°11'S, 108°14'E. Gunned and sank a 100 tons wooden lugger. Her cargo was oil and it was still burning on the surface 5 hours later. 39 round of 4" were fired for 20 hits.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Unrivalled: HMS Unrivalled (Lt. R.P. Fitzgerald, DSC, RN) returned to Plymouth.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Untiring: HMS Untiring (Lt. G.E.L.F. Edsell, RN) conducted exercises off Piraeus.

Royal Navy Submarine HMS Upstart: HMS Upstart (Lt. R. Westlake, RNVR) conducted exercises off Malta.

US Navy Submarine USS R-13: USS R-13 (Lt. D.C. Bowman, USNR) conducted exercises off Key West.

US Navy Submarine USS R-18: USS R-18 conducted exercises off Key West.


Royal Navy Minesweeper HMS BYMS 2026: Re-named "Calypso" and serving as a Maltese ferry, the former HMS J826 was purchased by French explorer Jacques-Yves Cousteau and converted into the famous research vessel of the same name.

Choose new date to check

Return to the Allied Warships section