Allied Warships

HMS Princess Josephine Charlotte (4.238)

Landing Ship Infantry

NavyThe Royal Navy
TypeLanding Ship Infantry
Class[No specific class] 
Pennant4.238 
ModLSI(S) 
Built byCockerill (Hoboken, Belgium) 
Ordered 
Laid down 
Launched28 Jun 1930 
Commissioned 1941 
End service 
History

Completed as passenger ship Prinses Josephine Charlotte in January 1931.
Requisitioned by the Royal Navy on 28 September 1940 and converted to an LSI(S).
Displacement: 2950 tons.
Lenght: 360 feet
Complement: 207
Machinery: 6 Boilers, 2 shafts, geared steam turbines, SHP 15400 = 24 knots.
Armament: 2 12pdr AA guns (2x1), 2 2pdr AA (2x1), 6 20mm AA (6x1)
Carried 8 LCA's/LCS(M)'s or LCP(L)'s and 250 troops

Returned on 25 October 1945
Sold for scrap to L. Engelen on 26 November 1950 

Commands listed for HMS Princess Josephine Charlotte (4.238)

Please note that we're still working on this section
and that we only list Commanding Officers for the duration of the Second World War.

CommanderFromTo
1Lt.Cdr. Stuart Erskine Crewe-Read, RN10 Jan 19413 Oct 1942
2Cdr. Arthur Ian Robertson, RNR3 Oct 1942mid 1943
3Lt. John Evelyn Bromley, RNRmid 1943late 1945

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Princess Josephine Charlotte include:


18 Jun 1943

' Shippigan Convoy '.

This convoy departed Falmouth on 18 June 1943.

It was made up of the landing ships HMS Prince Charles (A/Cdr. (Retd.) S.H. Dennis, DSC, RN), HMS Prince Leopold (Lt.Cdr. J.A. Lowe, DSO, DSC, RNR), HMS Princess Josephine Charlotte (Cdr. A.I. Robertson, RNR), HMS Princess Astrid (T/A/Lt.Cdr. (Retd.) C.E. Hall, RNR), RFA tanker Prestol (2629 GRT, built 1917) and the merchant vessel Empire Day (British, 7242 GRT, built 1941).

Escort was provided by the minesweepers Shippigan (Cdr. M.H. Brown, DSC, RN), Tadoussac (T/Lt. J.P. Davies, RNR), HMS Fly (Lt.Cdr. R.B. Chandler, RN) and HMS Mutine (T/A/Lt.Cdr. N.E. Morley, DSC, RNVR).

Distant cover for the convoy during part of the voyage was provided by the light (AA) cruiser HMS Scylla (Capt. I.A.P. Macintyre, CBE, DSO, RN).

The convoy arrived at Gibraltar on 24 June 1943. (1)

17 Oct 1943

Combined convoy MKF 24 / XIF 2A.

This convoy departed Port Said on 17 October 1943.

It was made up of the (troop) transports; Britannic (British, 26943 GRT, built 1930), Egra (British, 5108 GRT, built 1911), Glenartney (British, 9795 GRT, built 1940), Largs Bay (British, 14182 GRT, built 1921), Martand (British, 7967 GRT, built 1925), Maloja (British, 20914 GRT, built 1923), Stirling Castle (British, 25550 GRT, built 1936), Stratheden (British, 23722 GRT, built 1937) and Tamaroa (British, 12405 GRT, built 1922).

The headquarters ship HMS Largs (Capt. H.S. Allan, RNR) was also part of the convoy.

On departure from Port Said the convoy was escorted by the escort destroyers HMS Lamerton (Lt.Cdr. C.R. Purse, DSC and Bar, RN), HMS Wilton (Lt. A.P. Northey, DSC and Bar, RN), RHS Kanaris and RHS Themistocles.

On 18 October 1943, the (troop) transports; Aronda (British, 9031 GRT, built 1941), Karoa (British, 7009 GRT, built 1915), Letitia (British, 13595 GRT, built 1925), Llandgibby Castle (British, 11951 GRT, built 1929) and Nieuw Holland (Dutch, 11066 GRT, built 1927) departed Alexandria to join the convoy which they did later the same day.

The were escorted by the AA cruiser HMS Colombo (Capt. D.H. Hall-Thompson, RN) and the escort destroyers HMS Croome (Lt. H.D.M. Slater, RN) and HMS Tetcott (Lt. A.F. Harkness, DSC, OBE, RNR).

In the morning of 21 October 1943, the convoy arrived off Augusta where the Britannic, Glenartney, Largs Bay, Maloya, Martand, Stirling Castle, Stratheden, Tamaroa, and HMS Largs were detached and entered harbour.

The Aronda, Egra, Karoa, Letitia, Llangibby Castle and Nieuw Holland and the entire convoy escort then proceeded to Taranto where they arrived early in the morning of 22 August 1943.

The convoy departed Taranto in the late afternoon to proceed to Augusta. The escort destroyer HMS Haydon (Lt.Cdr. R.C. Watkin, RN) had joined the convoy escort. The Llangibby Castle and HMS Lamerton did not sail with the convoy.

Early in the afternoon of 23 October the convoy was back off Augusta. the Nieuw Holland was then detached and entered Augusta. The convoy was rejoined by the Britannic, Glenartney, Largs Bay, Maloya, Martand, Stirling Castle, Stratheden, Tamaroa and HMS Largs which had been detached on 21 October. More (troop) transports however joined coming from Augusta, these were; Duchess of Bedford (British, 20123 GRT, built 1928), Dunnottar Castle (British, 15007 GRT, built 1936), Durban Castle (British, 17388 GRT, built 1938), Otranto (British, 20026 GRT, built 1925), Reina del Pacifico (British, 17702 GRT, built 1931) and Sibajak (Dutch, 12226 GRT, built 1927).

Late in the afternoon of 23 October the convoy was off Malta where it was joined by the damaged light cruiser HMS Cleopatra (Cdr. M.J. Ross, DSC, RN) and the landing ships HMS Prince Charles (A/Cdr. (Retd.) S.H. Dennis, DSC, RN), HMS Prince Leopold (Lt.Cdr. J.A. Lowe, DSO, DSC, RNR), HMS Princess Josephine Charlotte (Lt. J.E. Bromley, RNR) and HMS Princess Astrid (T/A/Lt.Cdr. (Retd.) C.E. Hall, RNR).

On 25 October 1943, the convoy arrived at Algiers. Part of the convoy however went on to Oran. These were the Aronda, Egra, Karoa, escorted by HMS Croome, HMS Tetcott, RHS Kanaris and RHS Themistocles.

On 27 October 1943, the convoy departed Algiers. It was now made up of the following (troop) transports; Britannic, Duchess of Bedford, Dunnottar Castle, Durban Castle, Franconia (British, 20175 GRT, built 1923), Largs Bay, Maloja, Martand, Reina del Pacifico, Samaria, Sibajak, Stirling Castle, Stratheden, Tamaroa,

The light cruiser HMS Cleopatra, headquarters ship HMS Largs and the landings ships HMS Prince Charles, HMS Prince Leopold, HMS Princess Josephine Charlotte, HMS Princess Astrid, HMS Ulster Monarch (Lt.Cdr. N.A.F. Kingscote, RNR) were also part of the concoy.

The convoy was escorted by the AA cruiser HMS Colombo, escort destroyers HMS Haydon, HMS Wilton, sloop HMS Pelican (Cdr. J.S. Dalison, DSO, RN) and the frigates HMS Jed (Lt.Cdr. R.C. Freaker, DSO and Bar, RD, RNR), HMS Rother (Lt.Cdr. W.R. Hickey, RNR) and HMS Spey (Lt.Cdr. B.A. Rogers, RD, RNR).

The frigate HMS Evenlode (T/A/Lt.Cdr. A.L. Turner, RNR) departed Algiers on the 28th to overtake and join the convoy at sea which she did on 30 October.

On 28 October 1943, the convoy passed Gibraltar and the following ships were detached from the convoy; HMS Cleopatra, HMS Prince Charles, HMS Prince Leopold, HMS Princess Josephine Charlotte, HMS Princess Astrid, HMS Colombo and HMS Haydon.

From Gibraltar the following ships joined the convoy; (troop) transports; Esperance Bay (British, 13837 GRT, built 1922), Highland Princess (British, 14133 GRT, built 1930), Moreton Bay (British, 14193 GRT, built 1921), Rangitata (British, 16737 GRT, built 1929), Saturnia (Italian, 23940 GRT, built 1927), Strathaird (British, 22281 GRT, built 1932).

The landing ship HMS Prince Albert (Lt.Cdr. H.B. Peate, RNR) also joined as did the AA ship HMCS Prince Robert (Cdr. A.M. Hope, RCN) and the destroyers HMS Beagle (Lt.Cdr. N.R. Murch, RN), HMS Boadicea (Lt.Cdr. F.C. Brodrick, RN) and HMS Bulldog (Lt.Cdr. E.J. Lee, RN).

On 30 October 1943, HMS Wilton was detached to return to Gibraltar where she arrived at following day.

On 1 November 1943, the convoy was joined by the frigate HMS Tavy (T/A/Lt.Cdr. F. Ardern, RNR).

On 4 November 1943, HMCS Prince Robert arrived at Horta, Azores after having been detached from the convoy earlier on it approaching 50°N.

On 4 November 1943, HMS Prince Albert and HMS Bulldog arrived at Plymouth after having been detached from the convoy earlier.

On 5 November 1943, the convoy arrived in U.K. waters. The bulk of the convoy proceeded to Liverpool.

Sources

  1. ADM 199/767

ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.


Return to the Allied Warships section