HMS MMS 118 (J 618)
Motor minesweeper of the MMS I class
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Built by||J.S. Doig Ltd. (Grimsby, England, U.K.)|
|Ordered||4 Dec 1940|
|Launched||5 Feb 1942|
|Commissioned||14 Jun 1942|
To France on 22 April 1944
Commands listed for HMS MMS 118 (J 618)
Please note that we're still working on this section
and that we only list Commanding Officers for the duration of the Second World War.
|1||A/Skr.Lt. John Smith, DSC, RNR||Jun 1942||mid 1944|
|2||J P Dougal, RNR||mid 1944||mid 1944|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving MMS 118 include:
24 Sep 1943
Convoy MKS 26.
This convoy departed Alexandria on 24 September 1943.
It was made up of the following ships; Badarpur (British, 8079 GRT, built 1922), Clan Murdoch (British, 5950 GRT, built 1919), Delane (British, 6054 GRT, built 1938), Diplodon (British (tanker), 8149 GRT, built 1941), Drammensfjord (Norwegian, 5339 GRT, built 1920), Empire Capulet (British, 7044 GRT, built 1943), Fort Cadotte (British, 7128 GRT, built 1943), Fort Frederick (British, 7135 GRT, built 1942), Fort George (British, 7129 GRT, built 1942), Fort Glenlyon (British, 7132 GRT, built 194), Fort Lawrence (British, 7134 GRT, built 1943), George Gipp (American, 7176 GRT, built 1943), Glenogle (British, 9513 GRT, built 1920), Highland Prince (British, 7043 GRT, built 1942), R.C. Brennan (American, 7176 GRT, built 1943), Talma (British, 10000 GRT, built 1923) and Thistlemuir (British, 7237 GRT, built 1942).
The convoy was escorted by the corvettes HMS Hyderabad (T/Lt. T. Cooper, RNR), HMS Spiraea (Lt. A.H. Pierce, OBE, RNR), HMS Delphinium (Cdr. V.F. Smith, DSO, RD, RNR) and the minesweeper HMAS Gawler (Lt.Cdr.(Emgy.) W.J. Seymour, RAN). The corvettes HMS Oxlip (Lt. C.W. Leadbetter, RNR) and HMS Coltsfoot (T/Lt. G.W. Rayner, RNVR) were unable to depart on time due to defects. HMS Delphinium and HMAS Gawler were sailed in their place. Both corvettes were able to proceed after repairs to overtake and join the convoy relieving their substitutes which then returned to Alexandria.
On 28 September 1943, the following ships departed Malta to join the convoy; African Prince (British, 4653 GRT, built 1939), Benreoch (British, 5818 GRT, built 1921), Coxwold (British, 1124 GRT, built 1938), Derwenthall (British, 4934 GRT, built 1940), Duke of Athens (British, 5217 GRT, built 1940), Empire Nerissa (British, 7086 GRT, built 1943), Empire Rosalind (British, 7290 GRT, built 1943), Fort Augustus (British, 7134 GRT, built 1942), Fort Charnisay (British, 7133 GRT, built 1943), Fort Howe (British, 7133 GRT, built 1942), Fort Poplar (British, 7134 GRT, built 1942), Fort St. James (British, 7128 GRT, built 1942), Fort Stager (British, 7132 GRT, built 1943), Fort Walsh (British, 7126 GRT, built 1943), Gudrun Maersk (British, 2294 GRT, built 1937), Harpagus (British, 7172 GRT, built 1942), Ocean Valley (British, 7174 GRT, built 1942), Stanhill (British, 5969 GRT, built 1942), Ulla (British, 1575 GRT, built 1930) and Vittorino Zanibon (Italian (tanker), 1622 GRT, built 1943).
With them was also the damaged light cruiser HMS Uganda (Capt. W.G. Andrewes, RN).
The Malta section was escorted by the escort destroyers HMS Eggesford (Lt.Cdr. D.W. Austin, RN), HMS Chiddingfold (Lt. T.M. Dorrien-Smith, RN) and the corvettes HMS Alisma (Lt. G. Lanning, RANVR), HMS Jonquil (T/Lt. R.W. Tretheway, RNR) and HMS Vetch (Lt. K.M.B. Menzies, RNR).
On these ships joining the convoy both escort destroyers returned to Malta taking the following ships of the convoy with them; Badarpur, Clan Murdoch, Diplodon, Empire Capulet, Fort Cadotte, Fort Frederick, Fort George, Fort Glenlyon, Fort Lawrence, Glenogle, Highland Prince and Talma.
HMS Jonquil and HMS Vetch proceeded to Tripoli taking the Thistlemuir with them.
HMS Alisma joined the main body of the convoy as additional escort towards Gibraltar.
On 29 September 1943, the Fanad Head (British, 5038 GRT, built 1941) joined the convoy coming from Tunis.
On 29 September 1943, the following ships parted company with the convoy and arrived at Bizerta; Empire Rosalind, Fort Walsh, Gudrun Maersk, John Howland and Ulla while the following ships joined the convoy coming from Bizerta; Charles Goodyear (American, 7176 GRT, built 1942), Crista (British, 2590 GRT, built 1938), Empire Perdita (British, 7028 GRT, built 1943), Marigot (French, 4047 GRT, built 1932), Miriam (British, 1903 GRT, built 1912) and Richard Henry Lee (American, 7191 GRT, built 1941).
On 30 September 1943, the Empire Commerce (British, 3722 GRT, built 1943) joined the convoy from Bone.
On 30 September 1943, the following ships were detached to Philippeville; Crista, Derwenthall, Empire Perdita and Fort Charnisay while the Henry Wynkoop (American, 7176 GRT, built 1942) joined the convoy coming from Philippeville.
Around midnight during the night of 30 September / 1 October 1943, the German submarine U-410 attacked the convoy sinking the Fort Howe and heavily damaging the Empire Commerce. The aft part of the latter ship sank while the front part was towed to Bone.
On 2 October 1943, the following ships of the convoy were detached to Algiers; Coxwold, Fort Stager, Marigot, Miriam, Vittorino Zanibon and HMS Alisma while the following ships joined the convoy coming from Algiers; Abangarez (American, 4538 GRT, built 1909), Franka (Yugoslavian, 5273 GRT, built 1918) and Waipawa (British, 12436 GRT, built 1934). Also joining were the motor minesweepers HMS MMS 13 (T/Lt. A.E. Durham, RNVR) and HMS MMS 118 (A/Skr.Lt. J. Smith, DSC, RNR).
On 3 October 1943, the following ships of the convoy were detached to Oran; Abangarez, Charles Goodyear, George Gipp, Henry Wynkoop, John Howland, R.C. Brennan and Richard Henry Lee while the following ships joined the convoy coming from Oran; Dalemoor (British, 5835 GRT, built 1922), Empire Spey (British, 4292 GRT, built 1929), Kingsborough (British, 3368 GRT, built 1928) and Van Ostade (Dutch, 2890 GRT, built 1942).
The convoy arrived at Gibraltar on 4 October 1943.