HMIS Netravati (4.123)
Auxiliary patrol vessel
|Navy||The Royal Indian Navy|
|Type||Auxiliary patrol vessel|
|Class||[No specific class]|
|Built by||Grangemouth Dry Dock Co. (Grangemouth, Scotland)|
|Launched||23 Jan 1909|
|Commissioned||23 Nov 1939|
Completed in March 1909 as passenger/cargo vessel. Displacement: 1536 tons. Dimentions: 75.2 x 11.0
Requisitioned by the RIN on 31 October 1939. Returned to her owner in 1945.
Commands listed for HMIS Netravati (4.123)
Please note that we're still working on this section
and that we only list Commanding Officers for the duration of the Second World War.
|1||B A Samson, RINR||18 Dec 1939||22 Mar 1940|
|2||Lt. Geoffrey Phillips Ranson, RIN||22 Mar 1940||23 Nov 1940|
|3||S P Golton, RINVR||23 Nov 1940||27 Feb 1941|
|4||Lt. Donald Andrew McDonald, RIN||27 Feb 1941||late 41 ?|
|5||S P Golton, RINVR||late 41 ?||21 Feb 1942|
|6||T/Lt. William Joseph Newton, RINR||21 Feb 1942||1 Dec 1942|
|7||G J S Robertson, RINVR||1 Dec 1942||early 45 ?|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Netravati include:
14 Mar 1941
Invasion of occupied British Somaliland.
In the late afternoon of 14 March 1941 the first group of warships; the British destroyer HMS Kandahar (Cdr. W.G.A. Robson, RN), armed boarding vessels HMS Chakdina (Lt.Cdr. W.R. Hickey, RNR), HMS Chantala (Lt.Cdr.(Retd.) C.E.I. Gibbs, RN), patrol vessels HMIS Netravati (Lt. D.A. MacDonald, RIN), HMIS Parvati (Lt. H.M.S. Choudry, RIN) and the cargo ships Beaconsfield (British, 4635 GRT, built 1938) and Tuna (British, 662 GRT, built 1907), carrying troops and towing three tugs and six lighters left Aden for the coast of British Somaliland.
Shortly after leaving however there was a problem with a tow which parted and the rope ending up in a propeller. It was decided that it would take to long to clear and delays loomed. HMS Kandahar then left the tugs and lighters to be towed by the cargo ships and in the afternoon of the 15th HMS Shoreham (Cdr. G.P. Claridge, RN) was sent out to assist.
Also in the afternoon of the 15th a second group of warships left Aden, these were the light cruisers HMS Glasgow (Capt. H. Hickling, RN), HMS Caledon (Capt. C.P. Clarke, RN) and the destroyer HMS Kingston (Lt.Cdr. P. Somerville, DSO, DSC, RN). They were loaded with troops. They were to make rendez-vous with the first group.
By 0100/16 the forces were split up as follows; HMS Glasgow, HMS Caledon, HMS Chantala, HMS Chakdina, HMIS Netravati, HMIS Parvati were to land their troop to the west of the Berbera lighthouse while HMS Kandahar and HMS Kingston were to land commando troops to the east of the lighthouse.
At 0358 hours the gap in the reef to the western beach was found and 0417 hours HMS Glasgow opened fire with her 4" guns and pompoms after which the landing forces went in.
The gap in the reef to the eastern beach had already been found at 0330 hours and the landing zone was bombarded for 10 minutes from 0425 hours by HMS Kandahar following which the commandoes were landed by HMS Kingston.
The landing on both beaches were succesful.
The town of Berbera was captured around mid-morning of the 16th. More troops were then landed as by now the first group had now also arrived.