HMS Heartsease (K 15)
Corvette of the Flower class
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Built by||Harland & Wolff Ltd. (Belfast, Northern Ireland)|
|Ordered||19 Sep 1939|
|Laid down||14 Nov 1939|
|Launched||20 Apr 1940|
|Commissioned||4 Jun 1940|
|End service||3 Apr 1942|
Transferred to the USN on 3 April 1942.
|Career notes||To the United States Navy as USS Courage|
Commands listed for HMS Heartsease (K 15)
Please note that we're still working on this section
and that we only list Commanding Officers for the duration of the Second World War.
|1||Lt.Cdr. Edward John Robert North, RNR||May 1940||Nov 1940|
|2||Lt.Cdr. (retired) Francis Babington Proudfoot, RN||Nov 1940||10 Jul 1941|
|3||Lt.Cdr. John Albert Baragwanath, RNR||10 Jul 1941||2 Dec 1941|
|4||Lt. George Charles Wilson Meldrum, RD, RNR||2 Dec 1941||early 1942|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Heartsease include:
22 Sep 1940
HMS Heartsease (Lt.Cdr. E.J.R. North, RNR) picks up 31 survivors from the Norwegian merchant Simla that was torpedoed and sunk by German U-boat U-100 west of Ireland in position 55°11'N, 17°58'W.
18 Oct 1940
HMS Heartsease (Lt.Cdr. E.J.R. North, RNR) picks up 9 survivors from the British merchant Thistlegarth that was torpedoed and sunk by German U-boat U-103 45 nautical miles west-north-west of Rockall in position 58°43'N, 15°00'W on 15 October.
21 Mar 1941
Convoy HX 116.
This convoy departed Halifax on 21 March 1941 for Liverpool where it arrived on 9 April 1941.
Upon departure from Halifax the convoy was made up of the following merchant ships: Anna Knudsen (Norwegian (tanker), 9057 GRT, built 1931), Birgitte (British, 1595 GRT, built 1930), British Dominion (British (tanker), 6983 GRT, built 1928), British Prince (British, 4879 GRT, built 1935), Coulbeg (British, 5237 GRT, built 1940), Duke of Athens (British, 5217 GRT, built 1940), Ferncastle (British (tanker), 9940 GRT, built 1936), Gregalia (British, 5802 GRT, built 1929), Grey County (Norwegian, 5194 GRT, built 1918), Haakon Hauan (Norwegian (tanker), 6582 GRT, built 1935), Hercules (Dutch, 2317 GRT, built 1914), Iddesleigh (British, 5205 GRT, built 1927), Innerton (British, 5276 GRT, built 1919), Kaipara (British, 5882 GRT, built 1938), Lyras (Greek, 5685 GRT, built 1918), Mahout (British, 7921 GRT, built 1925), Mariso (Dutch, 7659 GRT, built 1930), Murena (Dutch (tanker), 8252 GRT, built 1931), Nellie (Greek, 4826 GRT, built 1913), Pacific Shipper (British, 6290 GRT, built 1924), Port Campbell (British, 7851 GRT, built 1924), Richmond Hill (British, 7579 GRT, built 1940), San Arcadio (British (tanker), 7419 GRT, built 1935), San Florentino (British (tanker), 12842 GRT, built 1919), Sovac (British (tanker), 6724 GRT, built 1938), Stanwell (British, 5767 GRT, built 1914), Tetela (British, 5389 GRT, built 1926) and Tornus (British (tanker), 8054 GRT, built 1936).
On departure from Halifax the convoy was escorted by the armed merchant cruiser HMS Ausonia (Capt.(Retd.) G.H. Freyberg, OBE, RN).
On 23 March the battleship HMS Royal Sovereign (Capt. H.B. Jacomb, RN) joined the convoy.
On 31 March HMS Royal Sovereign parted company with the convoy.
On 4 March 1941 HMS Ausonia parted company with the convoy after the destroyers HMS Ambuscade (Lt.Cdr. R.A. Fell, RN), HMS Bulldog (Cdr. A.J.B. Cresswell, RN), HMS Vanquisher (Cdr. N.V. Dickinson, DSC, RN) and corvettes HMS Campanula (Lt.Cdr. R.V.E. Case, DSC and Bar, RD, RNR), HMS Freesia (Lt.Cdr. T.P.G. Crick, RN), HMS Heartsease (Lt.Cdr.(Retd.) F.B. Proudfoot, RN), HMS Pimpernel (Lt. F.H. Thornton, RNR) and A/S trawler HMS St. Apollo (T/Lt. R.H. Marchington, RNVR) had joined. The destroyer HMS Winchelsea (Lt.Cdr. W.A.F. Hawkins, DSC, RN) joined on 5 April. The destroyer HMS Whitehall (Lt.Cdr. A.B. Russell, RN) and corvette HMS Orchis (Lt. A.D. White, RNR)both joined on 6 April. HMS Orchis was detached on 7 April.
The convoy arrived at Liverpool on 9 April.
- File 2.12.03.6374 (Dutch Archives, The Hague, Netherlands)