HMS Grimsby Town (FY 125)
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Class||[No specific class]|
|Built by||Smiths Dock Co., Ltd. (South Bank-on-Tees, U.K.)|
|Launched||12 Jul 1934|
Completed in July 1934.
Returned to her owner in November 1945.
Commands listed for HMS Grimsby Town (FY 125)
Please note that we're still working on this section
and that we only list Commanding Officers for the duration of the Second World War.
|1||Lt. William Cecil Riley, RNR||22 Sep 1939||mid 1940|
|2||Skr. George Main, RNR||mid 1940||mid 1941|
|3||Skr. William Alexander Cormack, RNR||mid 1941|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Grimsby Town include:
15 Jul 1942
HMS H 43 (Lt. A.R. Profit, DSC, RN) arrived at Plymouth where she conducted A/S exercises with HMS La Nantaise (Skr. S.J. Cory, RNR), HMS Kingston Chrysoberyl (A/Skr.Lt. M.A. Smith, RD, RNR), ORP Slazak (Lt.Cdr. R. Nalecz-Tyminski, ORP), HMS Ambrose Pare (Skr. J.W. Morris, RNR), HMS Olvina (Skr. J. Howson, RNR), HMS Cambridgeshire (T/Lt. H.F.B. Ashby, RNVR) and HMS Grimsby Town (Skr. W.A. Cormack, RNR). (1)
25 Feb 1943
HMS P 511 (Lt. C.R. Pelly, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Plymouth with HMS Grimsby Town (Skr. W.A. Cormack, RNR), HMS Kingston Chrysoberyl (Skr.Lt. M.A. Smith, RD, RNR) and HMS Ambrose Pare (Skr. J.W. Morris, RNR). (2)
7 Aug 1943
HMS Umbra (Lt. P.H. May, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Plymouth with HMS Lord Stanhope (A/Skr.Lt. W.R.A. Hicks, DSC, RNR), HMS Olvina (A/Skr.Lt. J. Howson, RNR), HMS Grimsby Town (Skr. W.A. Cormack, DSC, RNR) and Notre Dame de France (A/Skr.Lt. J. Coxall, RNR). (3)
29 Jan 1944
HMS Unseen (Lt. M.L.C. Crawford, DSC and Bar, RN) departed Falmouth for Portland where she arrived later the same day. She was escorted by HMS Grimsby Town (T/A/Skr.Lt. W.A. Cormack, RNR). (4)
- ADM 173/17251
- ADM 173/17921
- ADM 173/18331
- ADM 199/1824
ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.