Allied Warships

USS Apache (AT 67)

Fleet tug of the Navajo class

NavyThe US Navy
TypeFleet tug
PennantAT 67 
Built byCharleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. (Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.A.) 
Ordered1 Apr 1941 
Laid down8 Nov 1941 
Launched8 May 1942 
Commissioned12 Dec 1942 
End service27 Feb 1974 

Reclassified fleet ocean tug (ATF-67) on 15 May 1944
Decommissioned on 3 December 1946
Recommissioned on 20 July 1951
Decommissioned on 27 February 1974
Stricken on 30 March 1974
Sold to Taiwan on 1 June 1974 being renamed Ta Wan
Still in service as of 2003


We don't have any commands listed for USS Apache (AT 67)

You can help improve this page
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Apache include:

17 Jul 1943
Around 0830L/17, the destroyers of Task Force 74, HMAS Warramunga (Cdr. E.F.V. Dechaineux, DSC, RAN), HMAS Arunta (Cdr. J.C. Morrow, DSO, RAN) and USS Lamson (T/Cdr. P.H. Fitzgerald, USN) departed Esperitu Santo for an A/S sweep off the harbour.

Around 0900L/17, the cruisers of Task Force 74, HMAS Australia (Capt. H.B. Farncomb, MVO, DSO, RAN, flying the flag of Rear-Admiral V.A.C. Crutchley, VC, DSC, RN) and HMAS Hobart (Capt. H.A. Showers, RAN) departed the harbour and joined the destroyers.

Course was then set for position 12°30'S, 163°00'E.

Around 0700L/18, rendezvous was made with DESRON 21, made up of the destroyers USS Nicholas (T/Cdr. A.J. Hill, Jr., USN, with COMDESRON 21, T/Capt. F.X. McInerney, USN on board), USS Redford (T/Cdr. W.K. Romoser, USN), USS Jenkins (T/Cdr. M. Hall, Jr., USN) and USS O'Bannon (T/Cdr. D.J. MacDonald, USN). The destroyers of Task Force 74 were then detached. Course was set to operate between position 11°30'S, 164°20'E and 12°30'S, 166°30'E.

At 1200L/18, Task Force 74 was in position 12°30'S, 163°58'E.

At 1300L/18, USS Jenkins was detached to perform escort duties.

At 1200L/19, Task Force 74 was in position 12°06'S, 164°56'E.

At 1515L/19, Task Force 74 was ordered to operate in the northern half of area ' Fox ' (Area ' Fox ' was a circle with a radius of 100 miles from position 14°30'S, 162°00'E.)

At 1115L/20, orders were received from the Commander 3rd Fleet directing Task Force 74 to proceed to Esperitu Santo via Bougainville Strait so as to arrive at daybreak the next morning. Course was then set to 105°, speed 23 knots. The Force was zig-zagging.

At 1846L/20, in position 15°07'S, 163°34'E, HMAS Hobart was struck on the port side aft by a torpedo fired by a submarine. [This was the Japanese I-11 (offsite link).] At this time HMAS Australia and HMAS Hobart were formed in column 600 yards apart and were screened by USS Nicholas, USS Radford and USS O'Bannon. Base course was 105°, speed 23 knots and British zig-zag no.38 was being carried out. The night was clear and dark (starlit) and the moon had not yet risen. Sea slight.

in accordance with the zig-zag plan, course had been altered to 115° (10° right of base course) at 1835L/20 and at 1845L/20 course was altered to 135° (30° right of base course). HMAS Australia had just made or were making this latter alteration of course of course but, by HMAS Hobart's clock the wheel would have been put over in another 20 seconds.

On being struck HMAS Hobart immediately reported ' Jig Emerg '. This was by night the emergency turn procedure. So the remainder of the force was manoeuvred clear to starboard. The destroyers USS Nicholas and USS Radford were ordered to stand by HMAS Hobart while HMAS Australia screened by USS O'Bannon continued on. By TBS Rear-Admiral Crutchley informed T/Capt. McInerney that he would make the initial report (signal) of the happening and that he was to make subsequent reports in order to keep all authorities advised of Hobart's condition and off progress being made in getting her clear of the area.

The initial report of Rear-Admiral Crutchley was passed only after considerable communication difficulty for, in spite of the urgent priority given in the transmission, no station answered immediately except Thursday Island (which answered within two minutes). There was much traffic between ships and shore stations on both Task Force Commander's frequency and ship-shore wave. Radio Noumea eventually accepted the message after considerable delay.

After clearing to the southward, HMAS Australia and USS O'Bannon shaped course for Bougainville Strait and re-commenced zig-zag.

On receipt of the report of the casualty to HMAS Hobart, the Commander 3rd Fleet immmediately despatched tugs and additional escorts and also ordered COMPATWING 1 to provide A/S cover from dawn on 21 July until HMAS Hobart and escorts reached Esperitu Santo.

HMAS Australia and USS O'Bannon arrived at Esperitu Santo around 0700L/21. Shortly afterwards USS Jenkins arrived having completed her escort duties. All three then immediately completed with fuel and stores.

Shortly afterwards USS O'Bannon was ordered to proceed on escort duties. HMAS Australia and USS Jenkins were kept at one hour notice for sea.

During the day, reports from COMDESRON 21 in USS Nicholas with HMAS Hobart and escorts showed that the damaged ship was making good progress towards Espiritu Santo and would arrive after dark.

At 0510K/21, the destroyer USS Saufley (T/Cdr. B.F. Brown, USN) had joined HMAS Hobart, she was followed by three tugs, at 0815K/21, the USS Apache (Lt. C.S. Horner, USN) joined, followed at 0930K/21 by the USS Sioux (Lt.(jg) L.M. Jahnsen, USN) and at 1015K/21 by the USS Vireo (T/Lt. C.H. Stedman, USN).

At 1230K/21, USS Apache was detached.

At 1440K/21, USS Saufley was detached.

At 1700K/21, USS Sioux secured to HMAS Hobart forwards and took her in tow.

At 1725K/21, USS Vireo secured alongside on the starboard side. She casted off after 15 minutes.

At 0145L/22, HMAS Hobart safely reached Segond Channel and she dropped anchor around 0230K/22. USS Nicholas and USS Radford were ordered to hasten completion of logistic requirements and Rear-Admiral Crutchley reported to the Commander 3rd Fleet that HMAS Australia, USS Nicholas, USS Radford and USS Jenkins would be ready on two hour's notice from 1600K/22.

Damage to HMAS Hobart was severe. She was taken in hand at Esperitu Santo for temporary repairs before she was able to proceed to Sydney for permanent repairs. (1)


  1. Report of proceedings of HMAS Hobart for July 1943 + Report of proceedings of Task Force 74 for July 1943

Return to the Allied Warships section