Cross for Distinction in War (Mecklenburg-Strelitz)
Kreuz für Auszeichnung im Kriege
The Kreuz für Auszeichnung im Kriege was Mecklenburg-Strelitz’s equivalent to the Iron Cross. The award was originally established by Grand Duke Friedrich Wilhelm on March 10, 1871 to honor soldiers without regard to rank in the Franco-Prussian War.
The award was reestablished by Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich VI on August 11, 1914, again as a decoration to be awarded for distinguished service without regard to rank. On January 1, 1915, the grand duke established an additional class of the award — the Cross for Distinction in War 1st Class — to serve as the local equivalent of the Iron Cross 1st Class with the existing award becoming the Cross 2nd Class. Like the Iron Cross 1st Class, the Cross for Distinction in War 1st Class was a pinback metal.
There were 8,131 awards of the Cross 2nd Class while the Cross 1st Class was awarded 419 times. Non-combatant awards with the ribbon color reversed were made; it’s unclear whether such awards are included in the numbers cited.
The awards to Ramm and Reuß were of the Cross for Distinction in War 2nd Class.
|Oblt.||Ramm, Robert||3 Jan 1917|
|Oblt.||Reuß zu Köstritz, Heinrich XXXVII Prinz||4 Jan 1917|
2 officers decorated with Cross for Distinction in War (Mecklenburg-Strelitz) (Kreuz für Auszeichnung im Kriege) located.
Note: This listing is still being compiled and some recipients might be missing.