Light cruiser of the Bogatyr class
|Navy||The Soviet Navy|
|Built by||Nikolayev Admirality (Nikolayev, Russia)|
|Ordered||6 May 1901|
|Laid down||5 Sep 1901|
|Launched||2 May 1902|
|End service||2 Feb 1943|
Black Sea fleet.
Launched as Kagul. Renamed to Pamyat Merkuria on 25 March 1907. During WWI performed attacking operations against hostiles communicative roots, prospecting and blockade services near the Turkish shore, escorted and carried out antisubmarine defense of brigades of the linear ships. Repairs of hull and machinery at Sevastopol naval port (December 1916-April 1917) followed by rearmament with 130mm guns instead of 152mm. On 29 December 1917 she entered the Red Black Sea Fleet. On 28 March 1918 conserved and passed to Sevastopol naval port for storage, where on 1 May 1918 she was seized by the Germans and used as floating barracks for accommodation of sondergruppe of the Mediterranean division. On 24 November 1918 she was seized by British-French forces and passed to White forces. Disarmed on 19 February 1919 and main machines blown-up on 22-24 April 1919 by British order. Taken by Red Ukraine Front units on 29 April 1919, but on 24 June 1919 taken by Whites once again. On 14 November 1920 she left in Sevastopol by leaving Vrangel’s forces (Whites) while evacuating to Stambul and on 22 November 1920 at last seized by units of Workers and Peasants Red Army. Included to Naval forces of Black Sea in 1921, repaired, renamed Komintern on 31 December 1922 and on 7 November 1923 came in-line as training cruiser. In 1930 1934 forward shafts dismantled for accomodation of training classes, first funnel taken off in late 30s. Maximum speed was reduced to 12-13 knots. When WWII began, she was used as minelayer-on-guard. 11 March 1942 she was damaged by German bombs but not seriously. On 16 July 1942 she was hit by two bombs once again. Disagmed providing artillery for newly established seashore artillery units #743, 744, 746, 747 (2x130mm guns each), #173 (3x76,2mm guns) and #770 (3x45mm guns) near Tuapse, where the fleet base was situated. As total repairs were not possible, the former cruiser was flooded at the mouth of the river Khop (near the port of Poti) as a breakwater. Stricken on 2 February 1943. On 31 March 1946 an antitorpedoboat artillery post #626 was installed on the hull. Today Komintern’s hull is still there.
We don't have any commands listed for USSR Komintern
You can help improve this page
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.